Random Fuel Issue

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Random Fuel Issue

Post by 68FORDJBM »

Took the truck out to a car show a few weeks back and it was randomly cutting off. Most of the time it starts right back up. I can feather the gas and prevent it from happening. I'm pretty sure its the fuel system. I was leaning to the fuel pump. Someone mentioned that it could be flooding due to aging parts in the carburetor. I have a brand new Edlebrock 4bbl on a 360 with a new aluminum intake. The whole motor was rebuilt about 5 years ago. The truck has been running great for years but doesn't get out often (low miles). Same person did say that this typical of Eldlebrock, especially ones that are sitting for extended periods.

Does anyone have any other thoughts before I go down this road?

Thanks in advance?
ddcrim

Re: Random Fuel Issue

Post by ddcrim »

Try running with the gas cap off. Possible vapor lock. Or check if the cap is vented.
Fuel line or filter constricted. Mine has a small filter that screws into the Carb.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:yt:

Another vote for fuel starvation. I'd go as far as mounting a fuel pressure gauge in line, (after the pump-before the carb).
I'd also face the sad reality most of us have dealt with, (the in cab tank is rusted / trash in it). Troubleshooting the tank can easily be done by running your suction from the pump to a small remote tank for a few days, (I always used a can in the bed for this trick).
I had similar issues, (but on my Motorcraft 2150) that wound up being a simple accelerator pump on the carb, (remembering it only takes one backfire to rupture a diaphragm on the accelerator pump). :(
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 68FORDJBM »

Thank you. That gives me a few simple things to try first before going to more extreme measures. I just painted a bed liner and used some leftover to paint the neck of the gas cap. I wondered if these two events could be related