Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

BayStYAt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: 302 with 351 firing order???? why?

Post by BayStYAt »

ok so I have a D2OE-AB – 1972-1974, 302 Windsor small-block, 2-bolt mains

Does this explain the 351W firing order?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

D2OE indicates Fairlane/Torino engine? http://www.mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html#Table23
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
BayStYAt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BayStYAt »

sargentrs wrote:D2OE indicates Fairlane/Torino engine? http://www.mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html#Table23
rabitttttttttt hooooooooooooole!!!!!!!

How is that possible. Mercury marine tag. I found to petcocks on the block.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Later model cam. Supposedly the earlier firing order was harder on the front half of the lower end by because two cylinders fire consecutively at that end of the crank. The 1-3-7-2 firing order was easier on the motor.
BayStYAt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BayStYAt »

BobbyFord wrote:Later model cam. Supposedly the earlier firing order was harder on the front half of the lower end by because two cylinders fire consecutively at that end of the crank. The 1-3-7-2 firing order was easier on the motor.
Thanks Bobby,

motor should be out tomorrow. More answers coming
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

It's an industrial engine so Mercury Marine and the Ford engineers had the liberty of using anything in the current production lists to build the power plant they needed.

D2OE just means it was a 1972 dated fairlane (263/289/302/351 series) Engineering (or engine) component. The next group of numbers is the actual part number for the block (or anything else) followed by the suffix letters / number indicating the change level.

Again, they had the liberty of using anything in the inventory to build the engine so you can have all sorts of oddball stuff. Iron timing cover is most likely because it doesn't corrode like aluminum does. Salt water is hard on engines.

That's why this is fun and not aggravating. Unicorn much more than rabbit hole.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
BayStYAt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BayStYAt »

Ranchero50 wrote:It's an industrial engine so Mercury Marine and the Ford engineers had the liberty of using anything in the current production lists to build the power plant they needed.

D2OE just means it was a 1972 dated fairlane (263/289/302/351 series) Engineering (or engine) component. The next group of numbers is the actual part number for the block (or anything else) followed by the suffix letters / number indicating the change level.

Again, they had the liberty of using anything in the inventory to build the engine so you can have all sorts of oddball stuff. Iron timing cover is most likely because it doesn't corrode like aluminum does. Salt water is hard on engines.

That's why this is fun and not aggravating. Unicorn much more than rabbit hole.
thanks Ranch, from the numbers is it a 289 or 302?

found this from a mustang forum.

the difference is in the stroke. if you have a D2 block and im assuming the crank that came with that block than you now have a .040 302. for the record .040 is perfectly fine, even .060 is ok in all honesty.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

This is a nice little site---> http://www.castingnumbers.info/site/browse/m/Ford/p/7
You can select "Category" for rod, crank, head and block numbers and select "Type" for engine series.
BayStYAt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BayStYAt »

BobbyFord wrote:This is a nice little site---> http://www.castingnumbers.info/site/browse/m/Ford/p/7
You can select "Category" for rod, crank, head and block numbers and select "Type" for engine series.

thanks Bobby, this is perfect. I will have it all broken down by Sunday.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

BayStYAt wrote:thanks Ranch, from the numbers is it a 289 or 302?

the difference is in the stroke. if you have a D2 block and im assuming the crank that came with that block than you now have a .040 302. for the record .040 is perfectly fine, even .060 is ok in all honesty.
If I had to guess it's a 302. Use Bobby's casting site. If the crank is marked with a 2m it's a 302, 1m is 289. If the rods are marked C8OE or later most likely 302. Most of my '68 289's has C3OE marked rod castings.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
BayStYAt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BayStYAt »

Ranchero50 wrote:
BayStYAt wrote:thanks Ranch, from the numbers is it a 289 or 302?

If I had to guess it's a 302. Use Bobby's casting site. If the crank is marked with a 2m it's a 302, 1m is 289. If the rods are marked C8OE or later most likely 302. Most of my '68 289's has C3OE marked rod castings.

here are the pistons. I will break it down this weekend
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

That motor doesn’t appear to have a bunch of miles on it. What is the reason that you decided to tear it apart?
BayStYAt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BayStYAt »

BobbyFord wrote:That motor doesn’t appear to have a bunch of miles on it. What is the reason that you decided to tear it apart?
The motor is super clean. The front main and rear main are leaking. i also wanted to pull the motor to paint it and the engine bay. Gonna put a thumper cam in it also. The valve cover gaskets have been leaking in the rear for a long time. There is a ton of built up sludge on the block.

How can I clean the block to paint with the crank and pistons still in ? I would love to degrease and pressure wash it
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

BayStYAt wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:That motor doesn’t appear to have a bunch of miles on it. What is the reason that you decided to tear it apart?
The motor is super clean. The front main and rear main are leaking. i also wanted to pull the motor to paint it and the engine bay. Gonna put a thumper cam in it also. The valve cover gaskets have been leaking in the rear for a long time. There is a ton of built up sludge on the block.

How can I clean the block to paint with the crank and pistons still in ? I would love to degrease and pressure wash it
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

BayStYAt wrote:

I woulda pressure washed it before tearing it apart :D