cowl vents

Moderator: FORDification

tynall44
Preferred User
Preferred User

cowl vents

Post by tynall44 »

what are the function of the cowl vents what im talking about is the area around and in between the wipers,,, its all rusty down inside there id love to cut out the louvers and do something with it then replace it with this nice metal mesh i have ,,, has anyone did this before :?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: cowl vents

Post by FORDification »

That's where the fresh air vents inside the cab get the air. Plus it's where the heater draws in air to heat, via the passenger-side vent.

I've been trying to come up with a cool-looking way of incorporating some kind of screen on my project's cowl vents too, just to keep leaves and pine needles from dropping down in there. I haven't come up with anything that doesn't involve major surgery, which I'd like to avoid if possible. The best idea I've come up with is to cut out a full-width section of the front of the cowl panel, inside the engine bay around where that center oval plug is located. With that removed, I could tackweld a screen on the bottom side of the vents, and then cut a patch panel for that large hole about 1/4" wider from another cab and just bolt it in, maybe with stainless hardware.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

you could get some of that screen that they on patios and slide it in rolled up then unroll it ship in a bottle style....not sure what you would use to secure it though.
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
tynall44
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tynall44 »

i want to get down in there to stop the surface rust i can see developing,im planning on cutting out the whole center section then fabricate a piece to take its place
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

There's a truck cab listed on E-bay (which we've been discussing in this thread) where someone has cut multiple access holes along the front section, under the hood. This is actually a great idea, I think. You could just use the factory grommets to plug the holes and not only would it be quick and easy (more or less), but would still have a semi-factory appearance:

Actually, of all the ideas I've run through my mind, this is probably at the top of the list
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

"The best idea I've come up with is to cut out a full-width section of the front of the cowl panel, inside the engine bay around where that center oval plug is located. With that removed, I could tackweld a screen on the bottom side of the vents, and then cut a patch panel for that large hole about 1/4" wider from another cab and just bolt it in, maybe with stainless hardware."

Keith, I think I like this idea of yours the best. Done correctly, you could market the repair kit for this, ala early Mustang repair kits for the same ailment. Included would be a pattern for cutting the metal out and a new replcement piece that could be bolted or welded in. :D
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8