2 piece drive shaft question

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Mikeincool

2 piece drive shaft question

Post by Mikeincool »

I am connecting the drive shaft on My ‘69 longbed for the first time. Bought it without a rear end. I used a 9” from a F100 bumpside that was a homemade trailer. Drive shaft does not want to move in or out of the carrier bearing. I need about a half inch to have the u-joint touch the rear yoke. Should it move some? Any knowledge on this subject would be great.
MadMike

Re: 2 piece drive shaft question

Post by MadMike »

Looking at the '70 F250 LB two piece D60 rear, 8 lug floater.

There are a few things, if I'm looking at this right, that are not matching up to what you are saying.
This slip yoke does not go in into the carrier bearing. There is a male splined shaft that sticks out from the primary(stubby) shaft through the carrier bearing. The secondary(long) shaft has a slip joint with female splines that goes over the primary shafts male splines. Similar to what a one piece shaft would look like going into(over the male splined shaft) the back of a transmission. The external part of the secondary shafts slip yoke is not machined smooth, it is as cast/forged. It has a groove about 1/2" after the front. I'm thinking this should have a corrugated boot and this groove is for the clamp to secure it to cover the splines. There is about 1-1/2" of exposed splines between the carrier bearing and the front of the yoke. Everything is stock and there is visible travel movement on the exposed threads.

Where did you get the driveshaft from, or where did you get the dimensions from?
-Michael
Mikeincool

Re: 2 piece drive shaft question

Post by Mikeincool »

The drive shaft was still with the truck.