Borgwarner t85 overdrive trans no second gear overdrive

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Bcampbell1968

Borgwarner t85 overdrive trans no second gear overdrive

Post by Bcampbell1968 »

Hey guys, I have a t85 r11 overdrive trans I put in my 68 f100. I can't figure out why I can't achieve second gear overdrive. I get 3rd gear overdrive at about 35mph everything else is fine all direct gears but no second overdrive. I have 2.75 gears in the rear end and 255/70/15 tires on it. Is it possible this is a governor issue or should I put my 3.25 rear gears back in thanks in advance for the help. Trying to go for the best mileage possible I know mileage and FE should not be used in same sentence lol.
MadMike

Re: Borgwarner t85 overdrive trans no second gear overdrive

Post by MadMike »

Not familiar with this unit, usually the automatic OD units require a set speed to be matched before the upshift into OD. This is usually done so as to protect the OD unit from damage at lower speeds or from trying to start the car off in OD.
What happens when you are doing 30+ MPH in 2nd with the OD unlocked/turned on?
OD units are usually add-ons and not part of the transmission internals, it should not matter what gear you are in(save for maybe 1st/Reverse) for the unit to function as it onl relys on road speed and engine load for upshifting.
-Michael
Bcampbell1968

Post by Bcampbell1968 »

I have switched back to my 3.25 years. But I still don't have overdrive second at 30+ mph. Shift to 3rd let off gas pedal I have overdrive 3rd but not in second. I'm wondering if the governor could be faulty relay appears to be working ok.
Bcampbell1968

Post by Bcampbell1968 »

Also it seems like I'm turning a lot of rpms in second gear direct drive I don't have a tach but it's over 2500 rpm is this normal at 30 mph second direct