3-speed column shift

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

thazard1

3-speed column shift

Post by thazard1 »

My lower bearing was gone on my '67 F-100 3-speed column shift. I removed the column and rebuilt it using all new parts, including a used center shaft. Everything tightened up nicely. Problem is, I only have neutral, second, and third. No first or second.
I can shift the transmission levers by hand, even with the transmission linkage connected to the column levers. but the column won't shift into 1st or 2nd. This is telling me that the issues must be somewhere between the shift tube and the 1-2 column lever. I saw a previous post where someone had issues with an aftermarket shift collar. I did not change the collar in this repair. It appeared to be a replacement and was in good working order before I started. Any ideas what I have done?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: 3-speed column shift

Post by Mach428 »

If it worked prior to your rebuild, then you apparently left something out or misadjusted. Check out the exploded view for how the shift lever engages each shifting collar. I have one just like yours and had no problem after rebuild