3 speed w/ overdrive (4 speed) fitting question

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

amof2011

3 speed w/ overdrive (4 speed) fitting question

Post by amof2011 »

Hi there,
I recently acquired what most people would call an "impostor toploader" 3 speed with overdrive transmission, basically a 4 speed, for relatively cheap with plans to install it in place of the FMX automatic in my 1969 F100 with a 300 inline six. It seems to NOT be the dreaded SROD version which is good, and from what I've been told, it has the wide 3rd and 4th gear ratio, which I thing I'd like to offset the long stroke of the 300 on the highway. However, my two questions to you guys and gals here are, for one, is this trans worth putting in my truck to replace the FMX (which is in fine working order)? Is it reliable enough for everyday driving, light hauling (I don't expect to be pulling a trailer very often if ever) and the occasional fun of romping on it from a stoplight... (responsibly of course)? :wink:
Also, if it is worth doing, will it even fit in the truck? I'm concerned about the shifter not matching up to where it should be in a truck.
The input shaft is 6 1/4" long from tip to case, and the tail shaft is 14" from case to end of shaft housing. The actual shaft continues out another 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

Thanks for all you guys' input! I don't know what I'd do without the collective library of knowledge on here.

Adrian
1969 F100, 240 cid inline 6, FMX auto, crusty old Oklahoma farm truck.