Battery hold down, better than this one!

Moderator: FORDification

patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Battery hold down, better than this one!

Post by patrickdotryan »

Hi Fellow fordicators. I'm looking for a battery hold down / battery strap / handle that's better than this one below. Doesn't need the plastic coating as long as the metal is all there. Not looking for the replacement / aftermarket type.
image.jpeg
:lol:

Thanks. Patrick in San Diego.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
390 (was a 360), C6 Auto, Dana 60
tac
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Battery hold down, better than this one!

Post by tac »

patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

Oh snap. Thanks Tac. That does look like the right one and I hadn't found it. I had seen all the other LMC truck type ones, the Scott Drake mustang ones, had read the other posts on this site and that one looks correct and for $8 shipped! From what I can tell, the difference between most sold is that on this one, on the upward edges of the handle part, there are some very subtle rectangular tabs that stick up. These appear to match the original one that I have that came from the metal guillotine / puch used to make the part before it was formed. Nice. I'll be sure to post back a review once I get it. Patrick
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

I love to close the loop on these things. So here is a review of the battery hold down strap / battery handle for bumpside trucks.

There are plenty of battery hold downs that will work for our trucks and many that look close(ish) to correct. However, I went with the Scott Drake "battery hold down clamp kit" because it's basically identical to the original part. This repro kit is listed for 67-70 Mustangs and not listed for F100 or F250 trucks, but I can confirm it's indeed the same part. The original Ford part is C5AZ-10718-A and the Scott Drake repro can be purchased as just the strap / clamp, just the hold down bolts or, as I bought it, as a kit, with the same part number, ending in "-KIT". I bought it from Mustangs Plus for $14.

The handle / strap itself is very close to the original stamping, only seeming to miss some very tiny raised tabs on the top section where the factory guillotine cut it jagged. But given that it's plastic / rubber coated that's barely noticeable. The rubber coating seems very slightly thinner than the original, maybe a little nicer.

The hold down bolts or j bolts are also very similar, have the original gray phosphate coating and come with flanged nuts. The bottom bent over part of the bolt is a little shorter than the original and the threads come down a little longer than the original, but again, barely noticeable. Finally, the original nuts are two piece. The flange is pressed on to the nut. In the repro, the. Flange and nut is all once part, but size and shape is very close.

Here is a photo comparing the original to the repro part. A good, cheap detail if you're looking for original fit and finish. Thanks to Tac for locating this.
image.jpg
Cheers,
Patrick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Patrick, thank you for posting this information. :yt:
tac
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tac »

Thanks for the feedback.