Sloppy 3rd gear

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Beemerguy

Sloppy 3rd gear

Post by Beemerguy »

Hi, I'm new to the Forum and I just bought a 1969 Flair side with the 300 and 4 speed. When going into 3rd there is no clear path so unless I'm very careful I get grinding in either side of the correct placement. I hope that makes sense. So are there bushings or something that are worn out or is the gear box worn out? Thanks, Dennis
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Sloppy 3rd gear

Post by mrtleavitt »

I had the same problem with my first NP435 4 speed. It was a rare occasion to get into 3rd gear w/o some grinding. It was embarrassing and I always got harassed by my buddies. The synchronizer (aka synchro) is probably fouled up. Not sure what the process it to fix it. Maybe someone that has done it will chime in. I ended up buying a rebuilt T19 4 speed. Good luck. :thup:
1969 F100 428 with T19, 3.00 9inch 31 spline w/ Detroit Trutrac, '74 frame swap successful!
http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/mrtleavitt/
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi,

I had the exact same symptom with my 435.

I rebuild it with a kit from Novak using instructions I found on the net. Was a pretty straight forward procedure.

No special tools required but you do need a dial indicator to check/adjust the Run-out on the input shaft after re-assembly.

Also, I did have to take one of the shafts (I forget which one) to a Machine shop to have the old bearing pressed off and the new one pressed on. Everything else you can do yourself.

Lee
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day Beemerguy,

I don't have enough experience to offer advice, yet I suspect you'll find this thread of interest: Making a T18 top end nice and tight: canes and top covers.

Robroy