Want to keep my "3 on the tree"

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

drockobrian

Want to keep my "3 on the tree"

Post by drockobrian »

Hey guy's,
New to the site, But here for a specific reason.
1969 F100. 240. 3 speed. 2X4.
I plan on completely restoring it to factory condition, with the exception of the motor. I plan on doing a Cummins conversion on her. I am looking for information on upgrading the 3 speed and or replacing it but keeping the column shifter.
I have searched, and asked but I am getting no where. My wife's only stipulation on this build is, I can do whatever I want as long as it stays a manual and the shifter stays where its at.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Darric
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Want to keep my "3 on the tree"

Post by Mach428 »

I'm not sure what question you have? If it's only to rebuild the column shifter, there have been multiple posts about that and it's really easy to do.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Are you asking if you can use the 3-Speed Column Shift with some other type of transmission?
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
wndsofchng06
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wndsofchng06 »

Nitekruizer wrote:Are you asking if you can use the 3-Speed Column Shift with some other type of transmission?
I imagine that's what he means. Certainly can't bolt a Cummins to that three speed. I'm sure there's a way, but you'd need a good engineer!
motzingg
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by motzingg »

same bellhousing/layout as the M5 trans

eggman has an M5 bolted to a cummins, probably any adapter that bolts a cleveland-style trans onto the cummins will work just fine.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Here's the swap info from the tech section http://www.fordification.com/tech/M5R2_5spd-swap.htm
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.