B&M rachet shifter modifacation

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

B&M rachet shifter modifacation

Post by luke-ao »

I've been running this style shifter for more than 25 years and have always had trouble with the shifter cable. They always seemed to be in a bind no mater what I did. Shifting was less than desirable and hitting reverse took a little finesse and know how. (lol) On this truck I've spent probably $200 over the years on new cables so when I decided to rebuilt the truck I was either going to ditch the shifter or fix the problem once and for all.

The shifter linkage works perfect and it shifts like butter! I love it.

The only thing left to figure out it the linkage/shift boot (Underneath the cab). The plan is to fab or machine a "box" that will bolt to the bottom the assembly around the linkage. However I'm having trouble locating a suitable boot. Everything online is listed without dimensions so its hard to shop the part. I thought I would post here for suggestions on where to find a boot, I contacted various parts stores to get dimensions but of course no one will answer my emails!

I need a boot with a 2" large opening and a 5/16" small hole on the other end.

This type of boot would be perfect! :

Here's a few pictures.
I reversed the direction of the linkage to make the modification as simple as possible.
(The cable normally runs out the front side of the shifter)

Parts were CNC machined. Everything has bushings for easy overhaul down the road.

The underside where I need a "booted box" to keep the water out of the cab.

This is just a mock up. I sill need to cut in and weld the new tunnel cover. Cab is coming off to be cleaned, final welded, and painted.

LMK if anyone has an idea where I can get a 2"x5/16" boot. :)
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Re: B&M rachet shifter modifacation

Post by Mancar1 »

Summit has several different styles.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Looks good. My only short experience with a ratchet shifter was on my '69 Mustang when I bought it. Guaranteed to miss shift or embarrass me and finally the cable blew out the sheath. Taped @ 2' of 1/4" extensions together on the side of the road and drove it like that for a while until I found a stock setup.

You should be able to get a 3-4" long boot like you need without the huge big end and just run the rod through it before mounting the rod end. The manipulate the box around the linkage and bolt it on. You only need the big end big enough to get enough angle on the box so it goes over the linkage.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by luke-ao »

My first obstacle is no one lists the opening sizes, not sure how to navigate that.
(?)
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Just wing it. Find something that looks good and has a smaller hole. The use or make a punch to open the hole up. Want a 5/16" hole, get some brake like and sharpen the end on a belt sander or grinder. Makes a great low use hole punch. I used a short length of 1" EMT to punch out the grips on my Sportster so I could install bar end mirrors.

Remember, if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying hard enough. :thup:

luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by luke-ao »

Are you REALLY trying to explain how to enlarge a hole, that's a joke right?
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

luke-ao wrote:Are you REALLY trying to explain how to enlarge a hole, that's a joke right?
Yeah, I am. Perhaps you already know but some poor smuck down the road may not know. That's why folks post up on a public forum, to share knowledge.

I wouldn't let the wrong hole size limit what I chose to use. A quick trip to a junkyard to browse the front wheel drive cars to find something that will work should source something with OEM quality that will last a while.

Good luck :thup:

tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

I sure hope that you have the engine and transmission on solid mounts

If you have them mounted in rubber every time the engine torques up it may decide to change gears on you

I have a B and M pro ratchet shifter in my 67 short bed with a manual reverse valve body. Still cable operated

This truck is my daily driver and has been for 4 years. I have never missed a gear with it

The trick to putting a ratchet shifter in a Ford vehicle is to adjust the shifter cable with the trans and the shifter in second gear

Most of the gates in aftermarket shifters are made to work with GM transmissions which have a different swing in the internal detents.
luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by luke-ao »

I sure hope that you have the engine and transmission on solid mounts

If you have them mounted in rubber every time the engine torques up it may decide to change gears on you
Humm good point, I didn't think about that, I'll have to study on that some...