Engine swap/ tranny question(s)

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

captain chaos

Engine swap/ tranny question(s)

Post by captain chaos »

Greetings! The tired (and really loud) 360 FE in my 1970 F-100 is gonna get pulled and replaced (at least for awhile) with a 460 out of a '71 Lincoln (not absolutely positive on the Lincoln year) I am expecting the the bell housing on the C-6 behind the 360 will have to be changed but am unclear if I'll need to change tail shafts or not. I have been through about 30 pages of topics but none (so far) that deal with my particular issue, and I would be grateful for any light one can shed on this project. Are these the only 2 issues that I need to be aware of and need I pay extra special attention to anything I might not be thinking of? Ideally some time in the future, I'd like to put a 4 or 5 speed manual in but that's a lot more work that I want to do right now. Will I need another flexplate as well. Thanks. I appreciate your input folks.
Captain Chaos, signing off...
"You can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think"
DuckRyder

Re: Engine swap/ tranny question(s)

Post by DuckRyder »

Hi Captain, Welcome.

C6 Transmissions do not have separate bellhousings, so grab the transmission from the Lincoln too.

Is your truck a long bed or short bed?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
captain chaos

Post by captain chaos »

I appreciate the heads up Duck Ryder, and thank you for the welcome. Well, now that does make a difference in how to proceed. Right now the 360 that's in her with the c-6 really needs to be rebuilt or retired and I got what I thought was a killer deal on the 460 thinking that the c-6 would just bolt right up.....hmmmmm, yep, I will be hunting a tranny, probably a c-6 off a 460. (can't get the one out of the Lincoln as the guy who sold it to me got it from someone else, yada yada) The unfortunate thing is as luck would have it, I have one of the 460's that the heads are known to detonate, as I understand it, so, I guess I need to decide on alternate heads or keep it kinda held back on the horsepower which would kinda defeat the purpose. Think I'll sleep on itand hopefully wake up with miraculous answers. Stay tuned. lol, and thanks again Man!
captain chaos

Post by captain chaos »

oh, btw, it's a longbed.....and I'm out
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

captain chaos wrote:oh, btw, it's a longbed.....and I'm out
A long bed should have a 2 piece drive shaft, which means the C6 will have a bolt on rear yoke vs a slip yoke on the drive shaft. I'm not sure if there is a 460 version of that (Dentside long bed?) and although the tail housing with output shaft and yoke comes off a long bed C6 easily, I've been told a regular C6 must be completely disassembled to get the output shaft out.

I'm also not sure about your flexplate - suspect you will need one for a 460.

Frankly, you might want to go ahead with the 4/5speed conversion?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
captain chaos

Post by captain chaos »

well now I've done it....a C6 that'll fit my newly acquired 385 series 460 came along and the price was too good to pass up. The thing is, it's only the transmission...no torque convertor, no flexplate...I expect that the one I have in my current C6, bolted up to the 360 FE won't interchange. Advice?
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

FE and 385's have the same flywheel bolt pattern. You can use a FE flex plate on a 385 as long as the balance is the same.

I think you can use the torque converter also, But i'm not positive on that.
Been a long time ago but i think i used a 302 converter on a 460 years ago. The weaker the engine the higher the stall of the converter, Cheap way to try getting a better holeshot.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

And another thing to look at is the crank pilot size for the torque converter, there are two sizes.
also a new stock converter isn't that expensive. and then you know it's clean inside. :2cents:
captain chaos

Post by captain chaos »

Thanks , I appreciate the input. Seems like back in the day most everything Ford interchanged. I miss those days but I'm not a'scared, I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again
tnab1970

Post by tnab1970 »

there will be casting numbers on the block and heads that will give you the year of manufacture. the desirable heads for 429/ 460 motors were the "DOVE" casting marks. If I remember correctly D= 7 & O= 0 so they were produced in 1970. the block will have similar casting marks .Been along time since I did that swap . But you will also have to buy motor mounts ,Ford did not put that series in bump sides. L&L products in texas still makes them.
I ran the 429/C-6 combo, it was a really fun truck.