Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - My C6 is littering my bench

Post by Calfdemon »

Not a problem! Figured that it didn't hurt to ask. :D
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I hate diving into a project and finding a part is missing :x My bushing kit is missing the rear stator support bushing. Interestingly it came with both a babit and a bronze front pump bushing. 10 bushings, the right number, but wrong anyhow.

Why didn't you catch that in my pics Calfdemon??? :lol: :hmm:

Kidding bro.

EDIT : I contacted the Ebay seller and they are sending the bushing immediately
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Had an appointment cancel today so I had some time to work on the truck. It's rapidly becoming a set of sub-assemblies :D Right now I am hiding from the sun, but a little later I will be back out and will have the engine/trans out in short order. Then I will strip the interior and glass out. After that there will be a massive cleaning effort inside and out.....flip the cab on it's back and clean some more.

Trans is done and painted. Have a massive order to hit the parts store with. Also will be going to the JY for some odds and ends in a week and a half when Ecology has a half price sale.

Progress feels great.

forum image hosting
~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250

Post by Heirloom »

Just a couple tear down progress pics. I found cancer in the bottom of the cowl cab vent on the passenger side. :doh:

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Today I got about 85% of the frame and cab cleaned. All the extra brackets and hardware from years of exhaust work as well as all the unneeded dash wiring are gone.

Tranny is done :D

This was nearly the largest chunk of windshield rubber (more like plastic now) that came off while prepping it for removal.

Glass is out

Looking inside the passenger cowl vent box. It was packed with leaves so bad I will have to take the heater core out to clean it all out!

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

So since you are using the long shaft from the car tranny, what driveshaft are you using? Are you having one made or did you figure out what will swap in to the truck behind that C6?

I ask because we have a car tranny with the long shaft as well for CNM67's truck but not sure what to do about the driveshaft as it will have to be a bit shorter.. Of course, his is a short bed and yours is a long bed. So either way the drive shafts will be different. But curious what you are doing about it...

Everything is looking good! :thup:
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Don't know yet what I will have to do. If I'm lucky I can just shorten the front shaft and have the slip put on. If I'm unlucky I will have a one piece custom made.If I'm REALLY unlucky I will have to nudge the carrier bearing back a little and have two shafts made. My torque converter should be here soon, and I will be painting the chassis/suspension in the next couple days. Then I can drop it on the frame and see where everything sits. I will certainly post up pics and measurements.

For CNM67's shorty... I just looked under my Uncles factory '79 shorty. Long tail housing and one piece shaft. You will need to measure for a shaft. I'll give a quick run down on that.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/assets/ ... haft-1.jpg

In the above link note the 3/4"-1" distance it lists for the yoke. That is critical for the slip. Make sure your slip yoke is not seated fully, but pulled out to the noted measurement. Second very important thing is to make sure the truck is sitting on wheels (or on stands under the axle (not frame), and that the truck is close to it's running weight. Then you can measure for the drive line. That measurement is listed as 'A' in the picture. Center to center on the yoke caps.

If you can get that measurement we can compare it to the '79. Maybe its the same and you can find a used one at a JY? :hmm: :dk:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

More Pics!

My grimy cab bottom....

Hill Billy ingenuity....

Paint is imminent....

Can someone tell me the trick to getting the parking cable out??? :hmm: I'm guessing there is a special tool that slides in and over the retainer to compress all the tangs. I tried looking at it sternly, cursing at it and I even prying with a screw driver. :dk:

upload pictures free
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
FREEHAND

Post by FREEHAND »

Man you are making a lot of progress, can't wait to see it as you start painting and putting things back together! I had to do the same thing with both sides of my cowl, it was packed with leaves and pine straw! Keep up the good work!
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

FREEHAND wrote:Man you are making a lot of progress, can't wait to see it as you start painting and putting things back together! I had to do the same thing with both sides of my cowl, it was packed with leaves and pine straw! Keep up the good work!
Thank you FREEHAND! You won't be waiting long! :D
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Frame is nearly done! It's not show quality, but it is protected :D

The beginnings of my make shift spray booth. The frame was too big so I had to leave one side open a bit while spraying. Everything else will fit in and I will be able to close it up and pressurize it will filtered air.

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

Looking good! Dang, that's a lot of work, but it's going to be so worth it!
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 'Loom's paint booth of Horror

Post by Heirloom »

Eesh.... had a run in with dirty air today :cry: Caused tell tale spots. Thankfully it is the suspension and not the body. Working out the kinks on the below deck stuff :oops: I'm not going through the work of fixing it. I've decided to just get this thing done. It's going to be taking a beating the next few years. As long as the drive train/suspension/brakes are solid, I'm happy. A crappy paint job is gravy....or something :lol:

Here I was getting a feel for what parts I could do.

Primed and ready to go.

And I might have needed more coffee this morning. I was rushing to hit my temperature window since today was going to be hot again. I was pissed about the spots and not watching my over spray :oops: It shot like $#!T and I was to stupid to to get it adjusted right. Or I was fighting HF cheap spray gun syndromes. Not sure. Either way I have firmly decided that I am not a paint/body man. So please pardon the over spray. Really, it's paint over spray and not my secret chainsaw kill room.

Next group of (red) parts will include the diff, rear spring packs, and some misc hardware items. I will be ordering brake components, seals and diff/axle gaskets from RockAuto today. Also need to get some red VHT caliper paint for the drums, calipers and front disk/hub. At this point almost all of my really dirty stuff to be cleaned is done. All that left is some axle tube/flange, the rear brakes and the front calipers. I'll be able to make this a crude rolling chassis soon. :thup:

:fr:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - 'Loom's paint booth of Horror

Post by sargentrs »

I feel ya on the paint Josh! Shot the inside of my cab, doors and inner fenders. I patted myself on the back about a great job I did for a first time painter. Then it dried.....uggghhh! Orange peel out the wazoo. Tried to sand it and exposed primer. :cry: At $300/gal I am not trying that again, I'll pay a professional. I'm limiting myself to places that don't matter. Keep at it, she's coming together! :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - 'Loom's paint booth of Horror

Post by Heirloom »

Are you an old school SNL fan? If so you might remember Jon Lovitz in a skit.... " lower your standards". You too can be happy. :lol:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln