Used wrong transmission fluid

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

hmills

Used wrong transmission fluid

Post by hmills »

Well guys my son and I (father son project you know) did a complete flush on ole blue. We did it just just as Barry and Qman suggested Here are the steps:
1. drain and clean pan, replace filter
2. add fluid (Type F this time) and leave the funnel in place so you can add more fluid (see step 6)
3. there are two 3/8" lines going in/out at the bottom of the radiator - disconnect one of them.
4. Have your son watch the line and the fitting coming out of the radiator while you turn on the truck. Have him identify which way the fluid is flowing.
5. affix a clear hose (i used about 3 feet of 5/8") to the point that the fluid is flowing out of.
6. turn on the truck and have your son fill up an empty quart container while you add a new quart of fluid. Make sure he watches the site line on the side of the quart container and tells you when it starts to get full. Give him an empty quart container and go get another new quart of Type F.
7. Repeat step 6 about 12 - 15 times until the fluid in the clear tube is nice and red. I ran thru the gears (with parking brake on and foot firmly on the brake) several times during the middle of the process.
8. stop the engine, clean up a bit and top off the fluid level, put away your tools and take her for a spin.
Guess what. she ran great and Chris (15 year old) got to drive her for the first time. Man oh man, now that was a good day! thanks for the tips guys you just helped a father/son team take one more step to getting ole blue on the road.
HMills
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

good deal the transmission lives.
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Used wrong transmission fluid

Post by mrung0wa »

The biggest difference between the Type F and Dex/Mercon is the Anti-Sudsing Agent. If you put Type F where it calls for Dex/Mercon instead of having a Hydrostatic Transmission you'd have a Foaming/Suds making Contraption! :wink: :eek: :thup: :cry:
According to FORD of course I'd never tried it before...

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
greasemonkey060

Post by greasemonkey060 »

whoa whoa whoa. does this concern me???

im running a 71 f/250 with a 390. to be honest, i thought atf, was atf, nothing real fancy, i knew mopar ran special stuff, but could you guys give a recap of what youre talkin' about here????
'64 F100 SWB 8" notch, & triangulated four link w/ 2600 Firestone bags out back.
'67 F100 SWB STOCK.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I don't know that it's all that critical, I've used both in various trannies over the years with no ill effects. My '69 is a good example, the tranny pan gasket leaks pretty bad. I've bought a filter kit, but haven't gotten around to putting it in. When I bought the truck the I put in a bunch of type F because the id plate says it has a C-4 in it. When I changed the modulator I discovered it was a C-6 so I switched to Dextron because I read that C-6s use Dex. (Dontcha love Chilton?) Since then I've heard otherwise, so I've been adding F when it needs it. Doesn't seem to care either way, shifts and works great. This may be wrong, but it's my experience anyway. :dk:
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

(Top Secret)

Dextron is better. Won't hurt FORD tranny.

I got --Dex in my C4 sin of all sins. It works fine. Oh my. A 67 C4.
Go figure :P
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrung0wa »

And it won't Foam up either with nasty Foam! :thup: :thup: :thup:

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Only when I shave. :)