floor shifter

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

floor shifter

Post by 1970F250 »

what are the pros and cons of putting in a floor shift kit on a automatic truck? what what did you do with the gear select lever? just take it out?
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: floor shifter

Post by FORDification »

Most floor shifters are made for cars, so they're pretty low to the floor. You CAN get truck-type floor shifters though, but IMO they're pretty cheesy looking....basically just a taller plastic base to mount them higher. I can't really think of any cons, except decreased foot space for a middle passenger.

You can either just pop the pin holding the lever to the shift collar and just leave the collar alone, or replace the collar from a 4-spd column that doesn't have the shift mechanism. I've also heard of some who have ground the shift nub off the collar and filled it with expoxy, sanded it down and painted it, and it looks good.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

:yt:i think i'll make a wood one and wrap it with carpet. i dont have a bench seat so the leg room wont matter and i dont need it up that high ether because my seats are low. see 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

If you have a dealer add on AC unit, you might run into some clearance issues between the shift lever and the AC case.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

:eek: didn't think about that. im planing to put mine back in but the shift kit is down the road when i have some spare money
Steve
Ford_Doctor

Post by Ford_Doctor »

Are you pondering this just for the heck of it or are you considering alternatives because the column shift is broken?
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

for the heck of it. im planing on making a center console that will run from under the dealer ac along the floor up to the bottom of the back window. im putting one sub between the backs of the seats with the amp in the console, the shifter will be on it, cup holders, any gages i might think of, power window buttons, and a kc daylighter on/off switch. my wallet is cowering in the corner. especially sense its empty.:roll:
Steve
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

I had a B&M ratchet shifter on my C-4 and loved it. My wife found out she could hold first gear a lil bit and the shift to second would let out a resounding chirp from the tires, she loved it. Of course this was a mustang with a shift kit but you get the idea. Its a wonder she didnt get a ticket.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i love tire chirping. that is the sign of a bad a$$ car to me.
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

I have a floor shifter in my70. Makes it more fun to drive.
I found that its much harder to keep your foot out of it though because the floor shifter causes you to drive it like a manual valve body. Uses more gas that way too. :evil:

Mine was installed already when I bought it. It has no console, just a rubber boot at the base with a thin little chrome trim ring screwed to the floor.
Doesnt look bad. Just there is no PN321 to look at when you shift. You gotta count clicks instead.
Oh and just to screw with peoples heads, the knob is a 3 speed manual knob.

I only have a couple of pix of it right now and they all suck. But if wanted I could take some more of the setup.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

i like the 3-speed knob. lol my friend gust got a b&m for his 69 ch*vy truck yesterday and he says he likes it. i want... :pout:
Steve