Wax on...Wax off

Moderator: FORDification

HOWDY69
Preferred User
Preferred User

Wax on...Wax off

Post by HOWDY69 »

The paint on my truck is heavily oxidized. It has been sitting for 3 years. When it gets back from the shop I want to shine it up. I am afraid if I work it too hard I will go down to bare metal but I want to get it as nice as I can. Any ideas for products and should I get a buffer or is this an elbow grease only type of job? I do have two teenage boys I can press into action.

Also should I do the paint or trim first?
69 F250, FE Specialties 410, CJ Valves, RPM Intake, Holley 4150,......10 Smiles per gallon
71 Clydesdale in many pieces; 302 roller motor waiting impatiently
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Wax on...Wax off

Post by hardtailjohn »

Personally, I'd get the touchup or trim painting done, then go with something like #82 Meguiar's, by hand or lightly by buffer at very slow speed, then a #3 Meguiar's machine glaze then a good Meguiar's carnuba wax. It really depends on how good the existing paint is. But that's just my opinion... you'll probably get a bunch of others here.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

my truck is the same way all faded and chalky.

i once took a heated power washer to the hood of a falcon and it cleaned it and shined it better than new. the car wash never did it any good. so i'm thinking of doing the same thing to my truck before i do any rubbing compounds or waxing.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Wax on...Wax off

Post by jzjames »

Try using laquer thinner with rags. Takes the chalkiness right off. Use lots of clean rags (be careful..) The quarts of laquer thinner at Walmarts is the best price, a few dollars. It will strip the oxidation right off down to clean paint. Then just wash and wax it.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

There is a wax out there called TR3. Great stuff!! It is made for oxidized paint. You apply it like normal wax and it will bring your paint back to life. I use to use it on my old hot rod.