Vent Window Seals

Moderator: FORDification

jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Vent Window Seals

Post by jor »

I'm thinking about buying new vent window seals. Has anyone replaced theirs? Anything to be wary of? Thanks.
jor
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Vent Window Seals

Post by Joe Kriston »

Jor,I bought new ones for my last truck and ended up taking them to an old auto glass shop to install them...They're mounted with these wierd copper pins--sort of like 1/8" rivets but a rivet gun won't work...I got them at Dennis Carpenter,and honestly,the damn things still whistled at me when I was driving 55....

My explorer now has whistling vent window seals---they look to be in good shape but they shrink over time...I'm thinking of getting some kind of black caulking that I can sort of neatly fill in the wind openings...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Do you happen to have any photos, Joe?
jor
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Sorry,Jor,no pics....I will say that the replacement seals from DC looked exactly like and had the same copper mounting pins as the ones that were originally on there...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Thanks, Joe. I think I will go ahead and get the Dennis Carpenter replacements. I was going to use my old seals but with new everything else, they just look shabby.
jor
capeclassics

Post by capeclassics »

Both my vent windows had new seals installed but whistled like crazy....after much consternation finally discovered that the vent handles were slightly bent from years of use and consequently the window glass wouldn't seal tightly...........
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

I have done the same thing buying the DC vent seals. I did mine myself with 2 size punches and a hammer with my dads help. (You'll need 2 sets of hands and the 2nd one will go fast once you know what your doing. Not to big of a deal. My handles are a little loose too so I put 50cents between them and the chrome piece. :wink:
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179