Removing side molding/trim ?

Moderator: FORDification

dcopr

Removing side molding/trim ?

Post by dcopr »

I am going to start getting my 1968 f100 ready for paint. I need to remove trim without damaging it. HOW , is there a special tool for this?

Dcopr :?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the bottom bed trim unbolts clips and all from the bed.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acemang

Post by acemang »

beltline do just clip on
Ford-get about it
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Removing side molding/trim ?

Post by jor »

I just took the trim off of my 68. I'm going to fill the holes as I like the look better without the trim. I'm going to sell it all on eBay I guess. Anyhow, I found that the trim that runs the length of the truck is held on by a combination of bolts and clips. Once I located all the bolts the nuts came off fairly easy with a nut driver or a 1/4" drive socket. Here's a couple of photos of the bolts and nuts. Regarding the plastic clips, I broke every one taking off the trim but didn't damage the trim at all. If you can't locate all the bolts (you get to one by taking off the tail light), post and I'll photograph the trim laid out on the garage floor.
jor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

my 68 has clips that are riveted on the beltline.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Each end of the trim has bolted-on clips and the middles are snapped onto plastic clips, which are riveted to the body. As jor mentioned, you can get access to the nuts for the end clips. He mentioned removing the taillight for the back one. The front one is accessed by popping out a body plug at the front of the box (inside) on each side:

If you want to remove it the easy way though, simply get a thin piece of tin, maybe 1" wide by about 6" long and put a 90° bend on the end of it about a 1/8" wide. Then just carefully slide it up under the edge of the trim to release the clip. It''s very easy, and you don't have to worry about bending or denting the thin trim. :D Doing it this way also makes reinstalling the trim a LOT easier. Of course, the clip will remain attached to the body, which shouldn't be a problem unless you're needing access to that little area for sanding/painting.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
dcopr

Post by dcopr »

Thanks guys, This site has a wealth of info... I would have never thought to look behind the bed plug or taillight assembly. Thanks again.

Dcopr