72 swab body swap to 77 4wd question.

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

grabberblue72

72 swab body swap to 77 4wd question.

Post by grabberblue72 »

Has anyone ever put a swb bump side body on a swb 4wd dent side frame?
Before I started, I did lots of research, and all I was aware of was the frame width difference and the 2 inch difference in wheel base. I have done some rough measurements and have found that the dent side frame is around 5" longer, when you compare measurements between the rear cab mount and the end of the frame. This is a surprise to me.
I am worried that my rear bumper is going to stick out an extra 4 inches then it should. If I shortn the frame to get the bumper in the right spot, I won't be able to actually mount it due to the spring hanger position.
Is the dent side short box actually longer the a bumpside short box, or am i worrying over nothing. Has anyone had this problem? If so, what would be the best way to deal with it?
Seems like the only option is moving the spring hanger forward 4 inches in order to have room for the bumper mounts.
The shackle angle will be reversed, it will tip backwards instead of forwards, but still clear everything fine. would this be a bad idea? :doh:
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 72 swab body swap to 77 4wd question.

Post by averagef250 »

I'd think it much easier to cut both frames in half and weld the bump rear to the dent front to get the swb bump 4x4 frame you want. It's pretty easy to do if you follow a reasonable process and have the tools.

I can't answer your question on the frame length difference, but don't doubt your measurements. I've never owned/wanted a shortbed pickup.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
HighboyHugger

Post by HighboyHugger »

bumpside frames are 34 inches...73-79 fords have 34 inch wide frame under the cab and front end...under the bed it widens to 38 inches. BUT! 73-77.5 F250 4x4 highboys have the same 34inch wide frame as the 1967-72 highboys just 2 inches longer. I would just drill out the rear suspension shackles and move them forward 2 inches.
fordpickupman

Post by fordpickupman »

The wheelbase will be wrong. Move the spring hangers forward enough to set the wheelbase for the older body. cut the back off of the frame.
I have a '71 F100 on a '73 F250 4x4 chassis. The wheelbase was too long, so I move the hangers around while also installing '04 GM 2500 leaf springs and a shackle flip. They are about 1' longer than stock. The ride is way better, and the width is correct for the hangers. It took me about a day to complete that activity. :thup:
Its not what YOU know, but WHO you know......
Gittinwidit

Post by Gittinwidit »

A shackel flip will line the rear up for I just did this. Frame needs 1-2" cut or add body lift. Rear gas tank won't work with dent side bed. Need to fab new mounting points for bed. Rest was straight forward.
HighboyHugger

Post by HighboyHugger »

fordpickupman wrote:The wheelbase will be wrong. Move the spring hangers forward enough to set the wheelbase for the older body. cut the back off of the frame.
I have a '71 F100 on a '73 F250 4x4 chassis. The wheelbase was too long, so I move the hangers around while also installing '04 GM 2500 leaf springs and a shackle flip. They are about 1' longer than stock. The ride is way better, and the width is correct for the hangers. It took me about a day to complete that activity. :thup:
You said you put in 04 gmc 2500 springs...are that narrow like the highboy springs...I know that the factory ones are 2.25 and I was thinking about updating the springs in the back. If they are 2.25 or 2.5 inches wide that would be decently simple to swap.