72 F250 Ranger Spindle questiom

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Mark Williams

72 F250 Ranger Spindle questiom

Post by Mark Williams »

I really hate when I dont know enough about a subject to ask an inteligent question, but here I go anyway.

I recently moved from Hertford Nc back to Smyth County Va. The drive from NC to VA is about 350 miles. My 1972 F250 Ranger 4x4 was kind enough to give me a warning thankfully before I did flips down I-40.
Somewhere around Mebane I heard a squeek sound for about 2 seconds and then the truck jerked to the right. Of course my first instinct was to touch the brakes and hit an exit. As soon as I slowed down and started up the exit ramp I knew what the problem was. I needed some wheel bearings. I had zero indication that this truck had a problem due to only using it to drive from my old residence to the boat ramp which was less than a half mile away. It just amazes me that the wheel bearing didnt make much of a peep prior to going slam to doo-doo.

There just happened to be a garage at the exit it failed at. After finally getting the front drum off it appeared the front bearing did a full meltdown. The bottom of the spindle was almost worn through to causing my wife to be happy I have death insurance. The spindle had been worn on the bottom to where it actually started to warm and sag. It was bent upwards.

So luckily I had gone back to hertford to get the truck and had my buddy with me to drive my car back while I drove the truck. Scares me to death that we argued over who drove what and i won. He's a bit hard of hearing and might not have been as luck.

Anyway.... After all the drama it boils down to this.

I need to find a new spindle for the truck to be able to get it home to VA. Im at home now and have to find the part to send to the mechanic in Mebane. The mech found what he thinks is a good replacement on ebay, but its in oregon.

I just want to know how I can make sure that I get the right spindle to fit the truck. On the truck there are no ID tags on either axle. Im 200 miles away so a picture is out of the question. From what i've read here on the forum, would my best bet be to call the mech and get him to give me the info off the door tag and go from there. looking at the pictures on the exploded diagrams hasnt been able to help as what I have is Warn hubs on whatever axle I have.

Any advice appreciated Guys

Mark

Not sure what to do.
Mark

68 F100 LB 2wd
72 F250 SB 4x4 Ranger
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 72 F250 Ranger Spindle questiom

Post by eggman918 »

If it is a D44 HD I have a set of spindles,PM me and you can have them for shipping merry Christmas :thup:
Steve.
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?