Axle swap dumb question.

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

KRob

Axle swap dumb question.

Post by KRob »

I got told to re-post....sorry its a dumb question and i cant seem to find the answer.

Guys i am sure this is one of those ones that i just haven't found a previous thread or faq on so if there is one please point me to it.

I have a 71 F250 4x4, i want to put either HP Dana 44 or Dana 60 (depending on what i find first) with disc brakes on it.

Is this a direct bolt on or do you have to weld new perches on or outboard the springs?

Sorry i know this is one of those beat to death ones and i'm just to dumb right now to find the information.

Thanks
Rob
71 F250 4x4, 4BT Cummins Mostly Done...Project Thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=65450
(4BT, big block ZF5, 78 NP205, 78 Dana 44 Front axle, 4.10, 265/75/16, power steering, power brakes)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins...turned up a little.
Tpdaniels

Re: Axle swap dumb question.

Post by Tpdaniels »

It is a direct bolt in if you use a F250 front axle from a 76 to 77 1/2. They have a low pinion Dana 44, they have disc brakes and open knuckle's. 77 1/2 to at least 78 had Dana 44 high pinion axle's. It is also a direct bolt in, except you will have to have your front drive-shaft shortened a few inches to make it work. I just did this to my 72 F-250 4X4 just a few months ago, I used the low pinion axle because it was the first one I found.

Here is a picture made after I finished

I am of an age now that most of life's lessons were learned the hard way;
Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
Never ask how stupid someone is 'cause they'll turn around and show you.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
If you had the choice “Looks or Brains” take the Brains, Looks will get you thru the first half, but Brains will last a lifetime.
KRob

Re: Axle swap dumb question.

Post by KRob »

Thanks really appreciate it.

I'm going to go with the high pinion because its going into my 4bt, zf5, mated 205 swap, unless you guys think that will make the geometry worse. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 0&start=15

Once again thanks....i searched for quite sometime and didn't find my answer...one of those ones that i felt like an pain in the !@# for asking, and thought i should already know the answer.

Thanks
71 F250 4x4, 4BT Cummins Mostly Done...Project Thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=65450
(4BT, big block ZF5, 78 NP205, 78 Dana 44 Front axle, 4.10, 265/75/16, power steering, power brakes)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins...turned up a little.