2wd conversion

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

bigtimbo

2wd conversion

Post by bigtimbo »

To save a lot of time can I put front and rear 4wd drive axles on my 2wd and install a divorced transfer case with driveshafts.would this work so I don't have to transfer my body engine and all to a 4wd frame? Please let me know. Thank you
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 2wd conversion

Post by basketcase0302 »

What model? It can be done...yet should be done only by the most experienced!
Otherwise a "hack job" that's not safe at highway speeds will surely be the end result. :2cents:
This is not for the timid and requires a lot of work. You can follow Todd's build here that's going nicely. Dustin and one or two other guys here have done this I believe-maybe they'll pipe in here too with a little more info. :wink:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hilit=Todd
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

If you have an F350 crewcab longbed then you have a great frame to combine with all the bits and pieces you can cut off a highboy frame to get the sought after crewcab longbed 4x4.

Other than that your nuts to not just locate, fix up and swap the 4x4 chassis under your 2wd body.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
bigtimbo

Post by bigtimbo »

Ok, Thanks for the advice guys. I will just put my frame onto a 4wd frame. I want to keep my truck automatic. So if I get a divorced transfer case and driveshafts this will work with my automatic trans? And of course I will use the axles that are on the 4wd frame. Thanks again