Closed knuckle D44HD strength

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

montana_hiboy

Closed knuckle D44HD strength

Post by montana_hiboy »

How stout is the closed knuckle D44HD when running 35" and up tires? what's the weak link, axle shafts? u-joints? spindle bolts? all the above?

i've heard the spindle bolts have a nasty habit of coming loose on the closed knuckle 44 and possibly shearing off when running oversized tires i.e. 35" and up, can anyone either confirm or deny this suspicion? thanks.
Jim

'75 Ford Highboy 390 4spd
67ford

Re: Closed knuckle D44HD strength

Post by 67ford »

I broke mine with 35s, but then again I break everything. So take that with a grain of salt i guess. Depends how hard you are on stuff.
1967 F250 4wd, 41.5" Rockers
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

The HD Ford closed knuckle is one of the stronger 44's. The knuckles themselves are stout, more beef than the lighter versions for sure. They use the small 6 bolt spindle pattern just like all the later GM, dodge, IH axles. The open knuckle Fords switched to the stronger big 5 bolt pattern.

Just like any other 44 the parts you're going to break axles/joints, spiders and lockouts. The old spicer external lockouts are pretty tough if they're working. The pot metal warn ones are sh!t, but they do save your axleshafts I guess. Maybe just bolt the Warn ones with plastic bolts and they'll spit the bolts out before the hubs come apart?
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
montana_hiboy

Post by montana_hiboy »

Other than the obvious advantages of an open knuckle axle i.e. disc brakes, high pinion (if 78/79) is the stronger 5 bolt spindle pattern on its own enough to warrant an axle swap if a guy's running 35's?

or is the strength difference between the earlier 6 bolt spindle and later 5 bolt spindle negligable for typical street use?
Jim

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

negligable.

GM trucks always had the little 6 spindle pattern on everything besides the 60 front axles. They don't break spindles at an alarming rate.

Comes down to how much you hammer on stuff. If it's a toy and you plan to break it that's one thing. If the truck helps earn your living you're not going to do anything that will break a Dana 44. Make sure it's in good shape before you lock the hubs and the front will be fine.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
montana_hiboy

Post by montana_hiboy »

Thanks, that's what i needed to know

out of curiosity what gives the later 5 bolt spindle more strength than the earlier 6 bolt spindle? is it simply bolt diameter? and/or the way the bolts fasten to the spindle/knuckle assembly?
Jim

montana_hiboy

Post by montana_hiboy »

I got a chance to see exactly what you mean Dustin, i was out at the junk yard today and had the luxury of finding both a closed and open knuckle axle torn down on a couple of highboys.

i didn't have a tape measure with me but the closed knuckle 6 hole spindle bolts looked to be 3/8" on a 5" bolt pattern, the bolts went through the spindle flange and threaded into the knuckle, no nuts.

the open knuckle 5 hole spindle bolts looked to be 7/16" on a 6" bolt pattern, the bolts went through the back of the knuckle into the spindle and fastened with nuts on the spindle flange.

i was kinda surprised how "weaker" the closed knuckle spindle looked when compared to the open knuckle spindle, not the spindle itself but the method of fastening it to the knuckle.

but i know there's plenty of guys out there that run 35's on their '67-'75 closed knuckle highboys without issue so the spindle attachment must not be as weak as it appears.
Jim

FORD-F250-4x4-1972
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by FORD-F250-4x4-1972 »

montana_hiboy wrote:I got a chance to see exactly what you mean Dustin, i was out at the junk yard today and had the luxury of finding both a closed and open knuckle axle torn down on a couple of highboys.

i didn't have a tape measure with me but the closed knuckle 6 hole spindle bolts looked to be 3/8" on a 5" bolt pattern, the bolts went through the spindle flange and threaded into the knuckle, no nuts.

the open knuckle 5 hole spindle bolts looked to be 7/16" on a 6" bolt pattern, the bolts went through the back of the knuckle into the spindle and fastened with nuts on the spindle flange.

i was kinda surprised how "weaker" the closed knuckle spindle looked when compared to the open knuckle spindle, not the spindle itself but the method of fastening it to the knuckle.

but i know there's plenty of guys out there that run 35's on their '67-'75 closed knuckle highboys without issue so the spindle attachment must not be as weak as it appears.
hi there i am running 44 inch ground hawgs tires on my 1972 F-250 4x4 3/4 ton truck with no front end problems at all
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

37" Goodyear Military OZ's (HEAVY tires)
1000lb Cummins 6bt
Cranked up Cummins 6bt torque
No pavement princess.

100% stock 44hd. No problems at all so far! Although, open diff's are a joke, and I wouldn't dare lock this 44. Being open diff is why it's still alive i'm sure.
I'm always the one with the camera so this is sadly one of the only pictures I have of it on a trail. But It does work its way over rocks, and through trails!
It has been bounced HARD up front as well.
-Ryan
montana_hiboy

Post by montana_hiboy »

^^^Thanks guys, that's reassuring to hear, i guess i was sweating it for nothing, i've ran stock sized 235/85/16's on this truck forever and i wasn't sure how well the the old closed knuckle HD44 would hold up to 35's, looks like i have nothing to be concerned about after all. :thup:
Jim

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Something to consider too is almost nobody who breaks a Dana 44 front axle took it apart, replaced everything worn out and put it back together right. To often it breaks because parts inside were totally worn out from lack of maintenance. When knuckle U-joints are sloppy or the grease inside them is all dried up they will come apart when you put power through them. The joint body gets a tiny bit of slop in the caps, this gives leverage to spread the ears on the shafts apart and you have a big mess.

poorly maintained front axles break almost too easy. Nice, tight ones are pretty tough.
robertbruce

Post by robertbruce »

I reckon the closed knuckle is plenty strong.... when you read about its design closed knuckle oare held together more by force and friction than by bolts and balls... They are high maintence but along with drum brakes checking them over is quick.. Just make sure your trunnion caps are not loose!
averagef250 wrote:Something to consider too is almost nobody who breaks a Dana 44 front axle took it apart,
I did. Yep... pulled it all down, replaced lots, put it all back together then promptly went out and broke it!. Both the axle AND the knuckle...hehehe...

The knuckle I had overtightened, they are tricky to do up....took a while to find a replacement. All replacement are worn one way or the other and usually require a spruce at a engy shop... dont put jeep knuckles on it...
The axle was on a 30degree incline, half a lock on the steer, BOTH diffs locked and giving it to it with 33's jaggin on loose dusty ground... yer yer yer, striking a pose for the quad riders - im my coaster bus.... hehehe

just out of interesst - what size brake drums do you have?
Daily Driver
4x4 Toyota Coaster build up with chevy/gm mtr/tranny and the tuff 67-72 F250 drive train...
The xcase is divorced, there are no adapter plates, it's fully engineered with blueplates and a very tight conversion...
Worksshop foreman for son's vehicles;
BJ73, diesel, PTO - the bus's mechanical recovery vehicle
NG Paj, sunroof - the bus's passenger recovery vehicle
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

I guess I'll add that my front axle is very poorly maintained :D
I've never pulled it apart (Exception being hubs), and the front pinion seal is leaking real bad. Also, it's not leaking oil, it's leaking water. Has been for months. It must be full of water. I'll fix the pinion seal, drain and put fresh oil in, but i still won't rebuild it at all.
I need to break it eventually so i have an excuse for a Dana 60..
-Ryan
adrianspeeder
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by adrianspeeder »

Ran mine for a year daily drivin' and playin' on the weekend with 35s no problems.

Adrianspeeder
'08 F-250 Spartan Tuned 6.4L PSD ZF-6 4x2 XL, Reg Cab,
'02 F-250 Vin Diesel 7.3L PSD 4R100 4x4 XLT, Crew Cab,
'97 F-150 Dad’s last truck 4.6L M5OD 4x4 XLT, EX Cab,
'79 F-150 Homebrew Dually 351M C6 4x2 Lariat, Reg Cab,
'71 F-100 Bump 302 4x2 3/tree Stepside Custom, Reg Cab,
'66 F-250 Slick 352FE 4x2 3/tree Custom Cab, Reg Cab,
Broncos: '94 Grandpa’s mint daily driver XLT 302 E4OD,
'92 Momma’s daily driver XLT 302 M5OD, '88 OJ XLT 351 C6, '84 Mint! Lariat 351HO C6,

USAF TSgt C-17 Aircraft Maintenance Flying Crew Chief & Flightline Avionics Craftsman