Cheap 5 inches of rear lift without blocks?

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

oldshep66

Cheap 5 inches of rear lift without blocks?

Post by oldshep66 »

Well i put 4 inch lift coils on the front of my 68 F100 and it looks great. But now i need to lift the rear about 5 inches or so. I really dont want to have super tall blocks on the rear. I have 2.5 inch wide leafs on the rear of the truck. Im thinking of building my own springs by adding several leaves to the spring pack then putting in longer bolts to hold them togther. Hows this sound? If anyone have pictures or thoughts Id love to see/hear them. Thanks.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Cheap 5 inches of rear lift without blocks?

Post by averagef250 »

The rule of spring shops is one more leaf is good to support another inch worth of arch. If you need more spring it's a good way to go (like when you put a big block in a toyota).

More leafs in the rear of a pickup doesn't do you much good. Blocks would be fine if done right.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
71rangerxlt-fred

Post by 71rangerxlt-fred »

How about a shackle reverse? I removed the rear spring frame mount and used another front mount from the rear spring it makes the shackel point down instead of up.Its good for about 4+. You may have to drop your transmission crossmember slightly to match your new pinion angle, but that is a plus for driveline life anyway with a lift. I particularly like this for broncos and short beds, reduces driveshaft working angle. I also articulates well because the springs are not so stiff. And it's cheap also.
Morgan
71 f100 xlt black and white 390 c6
71 f100 xlt 2 tone green 302 c4
79 f250 4x4 460 4 speed
79 f250 4x4 460 auto snow plow special
tonka toy

Post by tonka toy »

71rangerxlt-fred wrote:How about a shackle reverse? I removed the rear spring frame mount and used another front mount from the rear spring it makes the shackel point down instead of up.Its good for about 4+. You may have to drop your transmission crossmember slightly to match your new pinion angle, but that is a plus for driveline life anyway with a lift. I particularly like this for broncos and short beds, reduces driveshaft working angle. I also articulates well because the springs are not so stiff. And it's cheap also.
Morgan
Hey "71rangerxlt-fred" can you post a couple of pics of your shackle swap? I have been toying with the idea of lowering the shackles and loosing the blocks.. Some pics might make up my mind for me :) Thanks!!
72 f-100 swb 4x4 I've owned for 28yrs now father son rebuild project. (IT NEEDS EVERYTHING)
66 gto BB chevy 4sp.
34 ford coupe blown 350 auto,red w/flames
95 Z-28 convertible 6spd
69 F-250 camper special (parts truck)