Windshield Gasket

Moderator: FORDification

Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Windshield Gasket

Post by Sharkdance »

Greetings all.

In the middle of a cab swap and need to remove the windshield from one truck and re-use it in the other.
(See http://www.fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7525 for pics of both trucks)
Is there any way to save the gasket and re-use it? I had to basically destroy the gasket in my donor truck. But I didn't try to save it anyway because that windshield was cracked and the gasket was obviously old.
But the other trucks windshield (The one Im using) is in good shape and the gasket looks fairly new.
Was just trying to figure out if there were any tricks to removing the windshield without breaking it or destroying the gasket.
When I started this project I had intended on buying a new gasket when I got to that point and letting a professional do it. But I've run out of money and must try to re-use as much as I can to complete this project.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i tried this once and broke mine. but what i did was to take two guys one starting on each side of the top of the inside of the gasket and slowly roled the gasket towards the outside. a little at a time. and not all at once. i would drop back and start from the side again as i met the other guy in the middle. then i would roll it out more. mine was working fine until i got to happy that it was coming out fine and i strated to go to fast and hurried the job and mine cracked. if i do it that way again i know that i could get one out that way with no problem. just take it slow and easy.

i was told when putting the glass back in with the old gasket to use a silicone spray lubricant to ease the old gasket back in.

i hope this helps you.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

:yt: I've broke every windshield that I tried to save the gaskets on. maybe I get in too big of a hurry......
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Windshield Gasket

Post by FORDification »

I've been able to remove a rear window without cutting the gasket out, but I've never been lucky enough on the windshield gasket. :o

Considering the gaskets are only about $20-$30 though (if you can catch the right E-bay auction), I think you'd be better off just saving yourself a lot of hassle (and potential leakage problems down the road) by replacing it with a new one. Here are a couple links to them on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-to- ... enameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Windshie ... enameZWDVW
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

Im thinking I better just cut the old one out and buy a new one to re-install with. Wouldnt wanna chance breaking a good windshield.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

i cut out the gasket on my windshield but broke it when i tryed to put it back it :cuss: i like the new one more anyway because it has blue tint across the top.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

is the custom seal on the 73-79 identicle? Will the 67-72 chrome trim fit? I know the windsheild is ident.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

rjewkes wrote:is the custom seal on the 73-79 identicle?
Yes
rjewkes wrote:Will the 67-72 chrome trim fit? I know the windsheild is ident.
Yes
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

cool. Was just wondering my 77 parts truck has a new in box gasket. Somebody was going to fix this old thing and then a tornado happened.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

my 78 windshield gasket is different than our trucks it has a black insert instead of chrome trim. the insert is about a half inside and goes all around the outside of the winshield it has to be taken out first before removal of the gasket or winshield and put back in as the last thing when installing the winshield. the insert is in 4 pieces. and it inset the gasket not over laps it like the chrome on my ranger does.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I believe the 67-72 chrome trim is just as wide as that insert where it goes in. I have heard it needs the chrome installded before it gets installed. in on the 67-72 model.
fuelly.com
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I believe the trim has to be installed after the windshield and gasket are installed.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Windshield Gasket

Post by dcbullet »

flyboy2610 wrote:I believe the trim has to be installed after the windshield and gasket are installed.
You don't mean for the 67-72 right?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The '67-'72 trim HAS to be installed prior to installing the windshield. There's no way to get it in afterwards. Can't say for sure about the trim that fordman's talking about, I've never seen those uninstalled....but even though the trim is different on the outside, I would think it would mount the same.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video