trans swap

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

oldfordnut

trans swap

Post by oldfordnut »

alright im swaping transmission in my 71 f-100 302 ci and it has a np435 in it now and im installing a 3+1 4 speed toploader and i was trying to figure out if im gonna need a new bellhousign or what not to hook the other trans up
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

I would think that the bell housings would bolt up.

I however am not an expert on this.

You could take the trannies and put them side by side and see if it would work.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: trans swap

Post by FORDification »

I was researching using a car-type Toploader a while back on the old forums and asked this same question, and this is what Barry told me:
68F250 wrote:The truck bellhousing is 7/16" deeper than the car bellhousing. This means any FE car manual tranny (Toploader included) will have a problem with it's input nose engaging into the pilot shaft. I have heard of a way around this though. Instead of using an FE tranny, use the small block trannies (Toploader included). They all have a longer input nose and it engages perfectly.
Actually, I think the small block Toploader would be a better match for a truck because it's a wide ratio with a lower 1st compared to the big block Toploader. Plus, the truck bellhousing takes the bigger 11 1/2" clutch compared to the 11" car bell.

(Close ratio) - 2.32 1.69 1.29 1.00
(Wide ratio) - 2.78 1.93 1.35 1.00
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!