Locker/Posi experiences

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Locker/Posi experiences

Post by spartman »

I was wondering if anybody here has used any of the aftermarket lockers or posi units in their trucks and if so what type, and how did they work.

I currently am considering for my 2WD truck that has a ford 9 inch in it the following options:

Powertrax
Gear Locker
Detroit Locker (this was a factory option for my truck)

I am now a dry sponge simply waiting for the wetness of knowlege from a sea of intellegence.

(enough butt kissing?)
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Mostly highway driving.

Mainly want it for snow and ice conditions.

Also if I need to pull something like one of my tractors to start it.

Kinda sucks sitting there with one wheel spinning and you know it would pull it out if the other wheel would just hook.

I have the 67 Ford shop manuals that shows the F series trucks with the Dana's had Detroit Lockers factory. The 9 inchers had the standard limited slip setup.
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

you could get an electric one. then you can turn it off when your on the road and turn it on when your in the snow. :thup:
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

Well if you want to spend the cash, how about an ARB? It locks on your command. http://www.arb.com.au/ This would be nice. There are times you don't want to be locked up on the snow or ice. It could put you in a spin going down the highway or around corners.

I realized after posting you are working on a 9". Yes, I agree they offered Detriots. I am not sure of what all is offerd for the 9". I would guess ther is a wide verity of goodies. Here is another good site that deals with 9" rearends. http://www.broncograveyard.com/
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

1970F250 wrote:you could get an electric one. then you can turn it off when your on the road and turn it on when your in the snow. :thup:
Unfortunately they don't make one for the 9 inch rears.

Also heep they don't make an ARB for the 28 spline 9's either, only the 31 spline.

Even if they did 800 bucks seems a little steep to me.
4x4_Welder

Post by 4x4_Welder »

You don't want a permanent locker in the snow and ice, you want a selectable one. If you're going around a corner, and both wheels are trying to turn the same speed, the rear end will try to slide. With a selectable locker, you can have it open, then lock it in when you need it. Another option is to rig up dual parking brakes, and apply the parking brake on the spinning wheel.
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

You know more about the 9" then I. Did you hit that Bronco Gravyard site yet. I have bought all mr gears from them, they are pretty cool with info.
Greg

spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Yes I did greg.

Lot of cool stuff.

Can I borrow 8 hundred bucks to get the ARB in my truck with new axles????

PLEASE!!!!!!
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Locker/Posi experiences

Post by spartman »

What about the gear driven Detroit Truetrac?

That is supposed to work a lot better than a typical auto locker. I guess it is supposed to act like a posi unit more than a locker.

Here is what randy's ring and pinion said about them:

Detroit Truetrac (TT)
Based on the worm gear principal and works like clutch type positraction. Does not wear out, not recommended for tall tires over 33".

Detroit Truetracs are similar in design to the Gleason Torsen®, only the Truetracs hold up well with reasonably tall tires. They use worm wheel gears that work on the same principle as a worm gear. When the unit is loaded, the worm wheels are forced away from each other and against the case. They develop locking torque by the light friction between the worm wheels and the case. This light friction is multiplied by the ratio of the worm wheel which depends on the size of the worm wheel relative to the size of the side gear. The manufacturer can change the amount of torque biasing or lockup by simply changing the diameter of the gears, or the pitch and spiral of the teeth. A larger difference in the size for the worm wheels and side gears (smaller worm wheels and larger side gears) will increase the lockup force. Increasing the pitch and spiral of the teeth will also increase the lockup forces. Like everything, there is a limit as to how much lockup force is reasonable. Making the unit too "aggressive" will cause tire scrub during everyday driving and will cause the unit to wear out too quickly. All of the feedback that I have received from customers indicates that the unit works very well for mud and snow, while going unnoticed during every day driving. When used in situations like rocky trails where one wheel gets off the ground, the unit will not lock up 100%. Light application of the brakes will help the differential engage more transferring power to the tire that is still on the ground. For extreme situations where the vehicle will have one wheel in the air often a locking differential provides better power transfer to the wheel on the ground.

Detroit Truetracs are designed for medium duty 2WD and 4WD applications. They work well in the front and rear, and are so smooth that there is little or no hint of resistance in the steering wheel when used in front drive steering axles. Like the Gleason Torsen®, the Detroit Truetrac does not bang or clunk, has no clutch chatter, does not wear out like clutch type positractions, does not need limited slip additive, and needs no preload or clearance adjustments.

Almost sounds too good to be true doesn't it? The only drawbacks to the Truetracs are their inability to provide lockup 100% like a locking differential can. Although Gleason no longer makes the Torsen® differential, the Detroit Truetrac is a proven design that is available for many popular applications. (aftermarket) 1 yr warranty
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

Yes, I here alot of good things from the lightweight 4x folks about TrueTracs. They even have them in there front axles. I had thoughts of putting one in the front of my Ford before I found the good deal on the PowerLoc. What does that one cost?
Greg

spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

ShortBedF250

Post by ShortBedF250 »

In response to your question:
I've got an early 70s (stock) detroit locker in a Dana 60 that I've been driving for over 30 years and it's always performed very well in terms of traction and driveability. It does occasionally "clank" loudly when making a turn, but that's (supposedly) normal and doesn't bother me. I recently had the R&P changed from 4:10 to 3:54 for better highway speed. I've never had any unusual tire wear or mechanical problems.
Restoratation in progress, 67-72 ShortBed F250 300CI NP435 Dana60 Ranger Torque Splitter
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

You got a Detroit and your tires don't wear faster :hmm: . Or are you saying they wear but evenly?
Greg

spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

I was going through my shop manuals for my truck and noticed that Detroit lockers were available stock in our trucks.

Cool huh?

Please give us more info shortbed?
ShortBedF250

Post by ShortBedF250 »

Mr. Heep70, To clarify on tire wear, the tread wear is even (right vs. left) and does not seem to be happening any faster than on other cars I have in the vehicle corral. Perhaps in a dry climate, tire wear might be faster but here in Pacific NW- as you know, usually wet roads may be "lubricating" the contact surfaces and slowing the wear-out rate.

Mr. Spartman, I bought the Dana 60 rear end in a junk yard a really long time ago and it was already pulled out of the source truck. Sorry I can't elaborate on what model it came from.

I had Randy's Ring & Pinion do the gear change last year ($700 approx). I have a nice set of 4.10 gears for sale.
Restoratation in progress, 67-72 ShortBed F250 300CI NP435 Dana60 Ranger Torque Splitter