Replacing a 4-spd manual with a auto

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

truckjunky87

Replacing a 4-spd manual with a auto

Post by truckjunky87 »

Any replace their manual trans with an auto? Did you install the shifter where the manual stick was - on the floor? If I get serious about replacing my little 240 I6 with something bigger I may consider the trans upgrade. Any recommendations on what trans should I be looking for while I wait?
-Braden Day
1969 Ford F-250 4x4 Highboy
1987 Chevy 4x4 1/2 ton
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Replacing a 4-spd manual with a auto

Post by flyboy2610 »

The first thing to do would be to decide what size engine you want to use and what you plan to do with the truck.
A Ford FE series engine should probably have a C6. A small block V8 such as a 302 would do fine with a C4, or an FMX. A C6 can also be used behind the non FE V8's, but the bellhousing bolt pattern is different.
So first decide on the engine.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

it should roll pretty good with a 390 and a c6 behind it...possibly a built c6 if you like to beat on your truck ;)
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

built C4 is better for the small block. Also there are adapters to put the 700-R4 behinf FEs and other engines now.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
lobuck76

Post by lobuck76 »

what are the advantages of the C4?
'71 F-100
jreb333

Post by jreb333 »

i have converted my FE manual transmission to a C 6 auto and i have never looked back. i love it. as to the better transmission, personally i prefer the c-6 for any v-8 motor because of its strength and durability. the only time i would consider a c 4 is if i needed to save space with a small block motor.......like when i shoehorned a 351W into a pinto....but in a car like that i would rather have a 5-speed anyway which is what we put in.

you can do a floor shifter but i prefer a clean floor board for an accessory console that i can lift out if i have 3 ppl in the truck at once (or 4) so i went with a column shifter. any auto column will work but you will need to shorten it a bit as the steering wheel will be about 2 inches too high ( i havent done this yet and i fit just fine but i cant have a 64oz drink in my lap without it rubbing the wheel.

the conversion is easy, only the driveline needs to be altered. its better if you have a parts truck so you can snag extras like cross-member, inspection plate and block plate etc.

the difference in handling is awesome, no jerky starts when towing, the truck is actually fun to drive even in town traffic instead of a chore.

on the interstate it does well but i do wish i had overdrive for long distances.

another thing to consider is your gearing. i have 3.73. a different set of gears in the rear end might change the performance. i would not go with any lower gears such as 4.11 or 4.56 without having overdrive.

i am considering higher gears for better interstate performance. anyone have any comments or experiences on this?

hope this helps
JESUS LOVES YOU! everyone else thinks your a jackass!
mont974x4

Post by mont974x4 »

good bit of info....thanks folks
Jay
72 F-100 4x4
97 F-150 SCAB 4x4