tailgate for a '71

Moderator: FORDification

greenbank

tailgate for a '71

Post by greenbank »

I'm looking at a '71 tomorrow that looks to be a nice truck but is missing its tailgate from a life of hauling a camper around. I take it a junkyard is probably my only choice? I also gather that finding a good one is going to be a challenge?
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
LOWERED 69

re: tailgate for a '71

Post by LOWERED 69 »

The Lynwood Pull-A-Part Is your best bet they got better prices than the other local yards, and they always have Ford trucks in there yard.Just give them a call to make sure they have some before you dirve down there.They've been crushing alot of them lately.I was sitting in there parking lot,and I look up and theres a Ford with a perfect front bumper shining about 15 feet in the air heading towards the crusher. :x
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

wait stop stop i'm running waving my hands in the air. too late. crunch. :(
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Greenbank,you may already know this,but what the heck,no charge for the advice....If you're going to look for one in a junkyard,check out the very top of the tailgate for straightness....I was pretty fussy when I was looking for mine(my original tailgate also fell victim to a camper),and I almost bought one that I thought looked near-perfect,then I saw that the tailgate had about a 1 1/2" bow in it...And run a magnet down the bottom side of it to see if there's any steel left under the paint....Of course,all this is moot if you don't buy that truck tomorrow...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
greenbank

Post by greenbank »

I'm sure hoping it's not a turd...the truck, that is. Looked at a few that haven't been so hot.

Pretty amazing how variable the pricing is. You can find really nice stuff for $1200 or see absolute junk for $2000.

I'm hoping to come back and post pictures of my new truck tomorrow. :D Then I can worry about a tailgate.
-- See Goldie
greenbank

Post by greenbank »

Jeez, Joe, I just went into your gallery and now I have severe truck envy. That's one nice machine.
-- See Goldie
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Thanks,Greenbank....So did you end up getting that truck,or what?
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
kentdaryl

Post by kentdaryl »

If you look on Craigslist Seattle and search Ford trucks, you'll find a guy in Edmonds with one for $20.
wn. 68 ranger

Post by wn. 68 ranger »

i do have a green in color gate off a 71 , its in good shape, i live in olympia if your interested ,i will want 70.00 dollars for it , you wont have any shipping if we meet somewhere :) mike