How now brown cowl?

Moderator: FORDification

Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

How now brown cowl?

Post by Sharkdance »

The vented space on the outside of the cab between the windshield and the back of the hood: The cowl?
How the heck can you get into there?
Im trying to clean and prep for paint as much of my doner cab as I can before the actual swap and that includes trying to prevent future rust as well. But I cant figure out how to get into that extierior space of the cab that I call the cowl.
Its not real bad under there, but I thought I could clean it out and coat it with something like Por15.
Anyone done this yet?
Should I even bother?
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: How now brown cowl?

Post by 460 crew »

Pour some in there and tip the truck side to side :lol:
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the cowl vents into the vents on the kick panel. other than that i don't think you can get into it without removeing the cowl from the truck. which means breaking the body seams where it's attached.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I asked this exact same question here a couple months ago, and wasn't able to get any ideas. I asked on a couple other boards online and again nothing. Since I'm going to be painting my cab pretty soon too, I'm still running this over in my mind. :hmm:

My guess is that the oval-shaped plug in the top center area of the cowl is the access hole for a flexible paint gun extension. I also spent some time surfing online and even sent out a few e-mails to paint gun manufacturers looking for such an extension, but all replies back said they didn't know of such a thing. I've toyed around with the idea of cutting a full-width hole across the front and then covering it with a larger patch panel from a donor truck, but I decided I really didn't want to cut up that area, or put that much extra work into it.

Since my truck is probably going to be painted black, I might be a little better off than someone who wants this area painted a different color. I was thinking about soaking a rag in POR-15 and then smearing it around in there through the access hole using a stiff wire, and then using a rattlecan to topcoat as far as the stream would reach. It won't be perfect, but since it'll be black anyway, it should only be obvious if you specifically looked down into the vent area.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
4x4_Welder

Post by 4x4_Welder »

I'm having to deal with a similar situation on my 69, except it's rusted through and my feet get wet (Clean the leaves out of the cowl!). I am going to cut a large oval hole in the underhood area at the front of the cowl, weld in the patch panels, weld the hole back up, and spray about a whole can of brite-zinc through the louvers. Then, I will probably take the most elegant option, and pretty much dump a can of POR-15 through there, before blasting the cab. It will be nasty, and not very pretty, but who looks in the cowl anyways?
tcb1969

Post by tcb1969 »

Ford did the same design on the early (64-66) mustangs. The only way to really get access is remove the spot welds all the way around the cowel - do the repairs, etc and then re-weld the spots that you drilled out. It takes about 2-3 days for an experienced mustang restorer to do this though - so figure alot of time for an amateur!

I had another idea though - anyone is welcome to steal it though!
Remove the entire cowel vent/grille area - do the repairs and then weld in new sheetmetal with an old ford cowel vent - say from a '48 ford. Then you can close it when you don't need the airflow and open it when you do!

John
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

The side panels for the cowl area are available as aftermarket parts, so it would be posible to remove those to get to the inner area of the cowl, then put in the new panels.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Stroked

Post by Stroked »

Hmm....I've never really thought about this. I have to say that was not one of Ford's brighter ideas. The cowl unbolts on my Chevy. I'm gonna get flamed now. :argue: :lol:
1963 Galaxie 2-door sedan 260/3-speed
1971 F250 2wd 360/4-speed
1986 Chevy K10 305/auto
Many, many parts vehicles.......
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Nah.
Frankly, Ford did a lot of bonehead things on their vehicles.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i dont own a flame thrower.