roof rust

Moderator: FORDification

DDfab

roof rust

Post by DDfab »

Hello again,
Ok i have been shaving my drip edge, not sure right way but i am trying.
I cut the edge off back to the verticle part of the roof over the windsheild.
Problem is when i get it to where it is flat, the roof panel itself is starting to get very thin, because of being on an opossed plain.
Should i make a straight in cut right into the seam after i get the main part off and try to slice the drip edge material out only. I have been grinding it back till the roof panel comes aver and has no edge to catch your nail on. that way when finished i shouldnt need much filler. other big problem is, what do i do about the rust that is under the roof panel. when i get it open, it has alot a flakes falling out. Is there a spray that i could put in there before final weld, without blowing myself up.
some spots are about 3/8 inch up form bottom of edge. I wish i could draw like Keith. It would make more sense i am sure.

Here is a exaggerated pic, but you can see that by the time i get the drip edge out grinding at the refered to angle. I have thinned the roof metal down also. have been trying different cuts, but i just am not that smart i guess.

Thanks for the help guys, i know this is a dumb question for the people in the know. I am just getting mad at this truck and want to coat it in gas and let it burn.

All i have is a mig also. can make little spurts at a time only.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DDfab

re: roof rust

Post by DDfab »

wish i had a better computer so i could search the archives and maybe find an answer. i think tonight i will just have to cut out about and inch up a patch panel
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i think that keiths project update may be where i read something about what your talking about. i wouldn't grind too far into the seam. because it seems to me that once you do that you have cut the roof off at the point that you are cutting into. i think if i understand all of this and what had been done before that i would just cut it straight off for now and come back to it. after some others have voiced their opinions here.
DDfab

Post by DDfab »

got it,
I cut the main part off then left about a 1/4 inch. Then i came from underneath and cut it from the underside. i finally cut is back 1/8 inch so i could see the top of the windshield frame rolled over edge. where it comes up and then turns to go under the roof. at that point the roof was about a 1/16 or so above, so i welded it together form there. seems like once i get it all polished down it won take much filler. unlike my previous to experiments. the drivers side above the door and corner of windshield is a mess. just have to do more grinding and welding in those araes. Live and learn.

Thanks for the ideas on my truck everyone, i hope to have it done soon with pics.
Dave
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Crazy Larry has done this and it may help you to contact him and ask some Questions.
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers