2wd to 4wd conversion

Moderator: FORDification

joelzi

2wd to 4wd conversion

Post by joelzi »

Anyone ever convert a 2wd to a 4x4 without cutting the frame and welding on a 4x4 front frame section? I purchased a complete 4x4 frame off of a 72 and was planning on taking the spring hangers, front spring mounts, and transfer case cross member and putting them on a 70 frame for the conversion. I planned on putting them in the same location as the 72 frame and then putting on the leaf springs and front axle. It is not possible to use the 72 frame complete for the conversion. I need to use the 70 frame for the finished conversion. (the 1970 is a crew cab long bed F350)
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: 2wd to 4wd conversion

Post by flyboy2610 »

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you with us! :D
If you want a 4x4, by far the easiest way would be to mount the 72 cab and box on the 70 frame, unless the rear of the frame is trashed. You would have to pull the engine and tranny, and remove the entire front clip off the 72 any way, The 72 will bolt right onto the 70 frame, and it would be easier.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i would say it depends on how determinded your were about doing it. i would think that it could be done with alot of extra work.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

It really WOULD be a lot of work....though it can be done. The front crossmember, suspension and mounts, steering box/linkage, steering column and engine stands are all 4WD-specific.

I understand (to a point) your concerns with cutting the frame, but if you're absolutely determined to do this, splicing the two frames would be the easiest way IMO.

Either way, I'd suggest taking LOTS of measurements, photos and notes before you turn the first bolt. And definitely take pictures as you go along on this project and share them with us. I'm sure there are definitely a lot of folks who would be interested in hearing about how things go.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

hmm. I had that thought and then thought, nah. But i had looked into and a pro said something about the crssmember upfront being shorter and the oil pan being a rear sump.

And as far as suspension i beleive you'd remove the i beams and drill the holes for the leaf spring shackles to be installed. and i believe the 4x4 steering system is an outside of frame mounting system for the gear box.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
oldhalftons

Post by oldhalftons »

Alot of people are afraid to cut a frame and weld it.
ford frames (at least all the older ones ) are just un-heat treated mild steel.

I'm currently building an 84 bronco on a shortened 87 F250 chassis.

I'm staggering the cuts and after they are welded, i'm bolting a 1/4" thick 6"x12" plate to the outside of the frame with 2 7/16" bolts on each side of the first weld. then running a bead around the plate, welding it to the frame. This is the method ford used to cut and extend frames for the really long WB vans. So I'll see if the method works for shortening frames too. :)
1969 F100 300/4spd power steering, manual brakes
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by zakt »

I have a 67' F350 crew Im converting to 4x4 and I have 85' and 95' crewcab frames which are 6" to long and thought about just moving the body over... nobody local recommends or will cut the frame and splice it because of the liability. So, Im moving all the hanger mounts off my 85' to my 67' since I already have the 10"front and 12" rear leaf springs and rather not buy new ones at $100 an inch... so far so good the rear is changed over but the front is still in progress. I have my own theory about putting the off road unlimited reverse shackle kit in the front and cut it to width but will have a 79 front clip for back up measurements and hangers... Im just not sure how the 85' front leafs will center in the wheel well of the 67'....

Todd
1972 Ford F350 crewcab
71Ford

Post by 71Ford »

Instead of converting it a 4x4, you could probably buy a lift kit, $700 worth of 35inch BF Goodrich Mud Terrain Tires, and a Ramsey Winch and go the same places a 4x4 goes and be a lot less trouble.

:2cents:

Shawn
:D
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-851

71 XLT RANGER ->203,000+MILES/NOT REBUILT

99 GMC 4x4 Suburban, 94 Saturn 200k, 03 Chev Venture
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

better add a locker to that list. other than that I agree, a 2wd, properly set up, will go almost everywhere a 4x4 will. And you may have more fun getting there!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

:wel:
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t