Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

Keith you could have used duct tape :D
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
greasemonkey060

Re: re: dont be stupid

Post by greasemonkey060 »

willowbilly3 wrote:If you are grenading u-joints, you may want to go with the Spicer case hardened ones. They have the blue grease seals, or did anyway. Also if you install the u-joints so the grease fitting hole is in compression and not extension during acceleration, your u-joints are about twice as tough.
can you re-explain that for me?
'64 F100 SWB 8" notch, & triangulated four link w/ 2600 Firestone bags out back.
'67 F100 SWB STOCK.
greasemonkey060

Re: re: dont be stupid

Post by greasemonkey060 »

FORDification wrote:OK, I guess I might as well share my 'I'm an idiot' story. :oops:

When I was younger I was driving a mid-80s Pontiac Phoenix (like a Chevy Citation). The front metal brake line got a hole in it, so the brakes went out. At the time I was living by myself in a new city, didn't know anyone and I was broke. I still had to go to work though (about 2 miles), so I ended up driving that car slowly on the backstreets for almost a week till payday with absolutely NO brakes. Whenever I started approaching a stop sign, I'd shift into neutral and slowly coast up to it, then quickly hit Reverse and then Neutral again several times in a row to get the car stopped. Of course, the car would lurch pretty violently each time I did that. I don't believe I didn't ruin the tranny, but it did hold up. When I got paid at the end of the week I replaced the brake line....but I have to say, this probably ranks among the top of the dumbest things I ever did. :oops:
no e-brake??
'64 F100 SWB 8" notch, & triangulated four link w/ 2600 Firestone bags out back.
'67 F100 SWB STOCK.