Smoothed bed side seam

Moderator: FORDification

SMF Speed&Custom

Post by SMF Speed&Custom »

I hate that small crack on the top of my 66 on the roof... It is like 5 inches on top of the rear glass. I see they put bondo over it but the crack is comming through again and bondo chipping away... I want to weld it up and smooth it out. Any reason why that little crack is there around the whole roof basically on the back to the sides?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Smoothed bed side seam

Post by FORDification »

The cab is made up of many different panels that are spotwelded together. Those are simply the seams where two different panels mate up.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Check out this truck for smoothed body.
http://classictrucksweb.com/features/0410cl_71ford/
Beautifully done and a daily driver!!!!!
DDfab

Post by DDfab »

thats a nice truck,, what did they do to the hood? not sure what they meant.. it looks thinner to me.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

I wondered about the hood also. The hood looks like it slopes down toward the front. I think he sliced a pie shaped piece out of the hood so it would have less frontal area. Lot of work to get a custom look.
SMF Speed&Custom

Yeah he pie cut the hood it looks like. Lots of work to pie cut a hood. I am having to do that to my 48 coupe and it's a huge rounded hood so I will experience this in the next year or 2. heh Awsome clean and smooth truck! I am begginning to like the 70's Ford trucks now. I used to not like them because the front ends were just flat and too much crap on the grille. I think a plain clean grille on the front and everything smoothed out on them looks GREAT!
Jerry1256

Post by Jerry1256 »

Hi there fellas
I like all the others have the bedside seam bubbling. My bodyshop says to cut the box at the seam and grind all the rust out then re-weld it.
Sounds expensive!
Might just go with the filler and hope it holds up for years to come.
Let me know the success rate of this procedure or alternatives. I need the most cost effecient procedure,married with daughters in University and a wife with a shoe fetish
driving a 1968 Mercury Camper Special that needs a lil facelift
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

seems to keep it original the question is how smooth did factory get it with the filler? And for Custom How smppth do you like it?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
SMF Speed&Custom

With my 66 I think I might go ahead and take the extra time and weld a small bead all in there and then bondo over it. I don't like the way they did that seam either. Same with the roof of the cab, it has that small line or crack all the way around and looks like crap if you ask me. Only thing is I think if I weld all around like that then it is going to be a PAIN to grind it all down smooth...