Installing the Factory Light from a 70-72 E-Series Van.

Moderator: FORDification

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Installing the Factory Light from a 70-72 E-Series Van.

Post by rjewkes »

Ok sorry first off i have no camera at all. So this will be done with modified line art if that is ok.

Step 1:

Go junkyarding and grab the best set you can find or alternately get a van catalog if it exists. Make Shure you have or get the chrome bezels for looks and for measurements

Step 2:

Pickup all of the connectors you'll need.

Step 3:

Pick the location on Your fenders. I chose Just Above the centerline Chrome. Pick any location you feel confortable with. It is after all your truck!

Step 4:

Make the holes for your lights to fit through. I First found the center of the forward hood emblem mounting Hole. I lined the front screw hole up with this hole.

The top of the bezel was just bellow the top of the fender just were it is rounded. I then took a white marking crayon and marked the screw holes and outlined the Center area of the bezel.

i then took a 1/2" drill and drilled the center of the bezel marking and did this at all four corners. Don't worry the marking is no where near big enough.(there has to be a better way any thoughts?) I then made several smaller drill holes along the line. And then took the tin snips and cut down them from hole to hole.

If you leave it a hair long and some relief cuts you can roll this edge smooth. You then drill your screw holes 1/16th". Screw it all in.

Step 5:

Wiring! Pick your wiring method. You can go with an external relay that comes on with The headlights or a switch. Or as long as you don't overload the 18 amp relay built in to the runing lights (mine hasn't yet) You can wire it there.

Then wire it up you'll need the 194 or 194 NA(natural amber) Bulbs and sockets. 1 per Light. You can get them from the same Donar Van. Or from any 70-87 Ford pickup or any car that uses the same size socket and socket mount surface. Or you can get them at autozone and other fine auto parts dealers.

Wire e'm up and go for it. Have fun. Oh and i grounded it to the headlight ground surface. No problem so far.(3 weeks).
Last edited by rjewkes on Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

I might be a little slow tonight, But what light are these exactly again?
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

The amber front running lights off of the 70-72 econoline van shaped like the red ones on the pickups and vans.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

gotcha. I must be tired tonight :-)
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

sometimes i don't type so good.
fuelly.com