Paint Match!

Moderator: FORDification

SMF Speed&Custom

Paint Match!

Post by SMF Speed&Custom »

I am going to get ready and do ALL the body work on my truck, strip all the parts off and repaint this thing. Right now the paint is awsome and I dont ever see it so want to keep the same color but wanna redo the paint since it is bubbling, etc. I plan to do the door jams, engine compartment, dash, inside cab, etc etc. How can I get a place to find the SAME match for this color? If I cant find it or it's too much I may two tone this with silver and then that new Ford metallic blue (keep some Ford paint on a Ford heh).
It is a dark forest like metallic green with pearl blue in it. You can see the blue at angles which I never noticed before until I got a million people asking me what color it was and how I got the blue in it... :D
Here is a pic of the truck...
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

on some vehicles the paint code is on the build tag. take that code to the paint store and they can match it with their books if you can find a build tag and if the paint code is on there. if not look at the identifying truck years page and get that paint corresponding number and name and that that to the paint place and see if they can mix it up with that info.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

i'm thinking thats not a stock color in '66!
nice truck, tho!!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Paint Match!

Post by hardtailjohn »

Most (ok, some) paint stores will have a "spectrum scanner" that you can take a panel in to, have them scan it, and then they can mix the color to match. I'd do some checking around and see who has one. Then, they can give you a code that you can always come back with to get more mixed.
Good luck, and nice looking pickup!
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
SMF Speed&Custom

Ok cool. Yeah it's a custom color. I heard that they had what your talking about, they said it is some camera that scans the color and will match it pretty close. I am stuck between doing the same color again or two tone it metallic blue and silver... I love the two tone thing but then again I don't see this color that is on it now ever (I see metallic forest green but not the pearl blue tint in it) and I always get people asking about it....
Thanks a lot for the help! I will call some PPG stores and if they dont know then I will look up some local paint shops and ask them if they know.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Might want to put some tires on it. It's probably hard on the drums to drive it like that! :lol:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
SMF Speed&Custom

Huh? There is tires and original wheels. I took the hubcaps off to clean them and painted the wheels black. If I had moon caps I'd put those on, otherwise until later when I have money the wheels will stay like that. Lol.... Oh and the back drums.... well there are no back brakes on this thing yet basically. When I bought it the rotors were gone and eaten all the way through and the only thing stopping it was the metal behind where the brake pad WAS and that is how it was stopping. Now I have new front rotors and brake pads, etc. I don't have money for the back yet.... Yeah kind of dumb but it's stopping fine for now plus I don't drive it as much as I was since I got another backup truck.
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

SMF, I know that your in the Charlotte area. There is a place in downtown Gastonia called Framco or Franco. They are at 1402 West Franklin Street & in the Gastonia phone book.

If you give them the original paint code and year of the truck they will mix up rattle cans for something like 15-17 bucks a can. I painted my firewall and underside of the hood and it came out pretty good. Kaylle & Clint have seen it, if you want to ask them about it. Or send me your email & I can send you pics.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
SMF Speed&Custom

email is [e-mail address removed by Admin]
I don't want the original color actually. I want the color that is on it now but I'd still like to see how yours came out!
Thanks!
SMF Speed&Custom

Ok thanks a lot for the help. Sorry about the Email thing, I forgot I shouldn't post that.