Bed - Box Removal

Moderator: FORDification

Bobaloo2

Bed - Box Removal

Post by Bobaloo2 »

One side of my SWB smooth side is a mess, so I am thinking about replacing the whole thing.
Is removal of the bed/box only a two man deal? (Gas tank is in the cab).
Will the box from any 67-72 or even 73-79 fit without major labor?
Bobaloo2
Bob Mayben

1967 F 100 SWB
1963 Bel Air 409
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Bed - Box Removal

Post by FORDification »

Two can lift it, but it's a heavy box. When I sold my last LWB box I and the buyer were able to lift it off by ourselves, though we were definitely grunting to do so. A SWB box will probably be 75-100 lbs. lighter (just guessing) so I'd think you and a buddy could handle it.

Any '67-'72 SWB styleside box will bolt right on. Or if you're looking for a flareside box, you can use them from the late-'50s all the way up through the late-'70s. Heck, I've even seen '80s-era flaresize boxes on these trucks, and even though the fenders are more boxy, they don't look half bad. Here's a '72 with an '80s-era box:

The '73-up boxes will be several inches longer, since the wheelbase increased several inches in '73, which means your rear tires won't be completely centered in the wheelwell, unless you scoot the box back away from the cab...but then you'll have a much wider gap between the cab and box which looks ugly. In addition, you'll have to drill new holes in the bed (and reinforce them!) to mount it, since the frames on the 2WD trucks from that generation are wider behind the cab.

Don't even THINK about trying to mount a styleside bed from anything other than a '67-'72. Not only are the body lines all wrong and thus would really look screwy....but we'd have to come after you for desecrating your truck! :nono: :evil:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
crazyace99million

Post by crazyace99million »

lol i agree, your body lines would look crappy
Bobaloo2

Post by Bobaloo2 »

Yes Sirs...I will be a good boy and only hunt a 67-72 box unless it's a flare side. Thanks you guys.
BM
Bobaloo2
Bob Mayben

1967 F 100 SWB
1963 Bel Air 409
SmokeyBear
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by SmokeyBear »

Am I correct in saying the stepside boxes from I think 53 through 86 are all the same only the fenders are different from 80-86?
70 F-100 XLT
"Christine" Gone but not forgotten.
72 F-100 Ranger XLT
Jerry1256

Post by Jerry1256 »

I own a 68 Camper Special ans I was thinking of putting in the oak floor in the bed with the rails.
Has anuone done this?
Can it be put in right over the existing floor or does the old floor need to be cut out????
driving a 1968 Mercury Camper Special that needs a lil facelift
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I don't think I've ever seen a kit to do this on '67-'72 styleside beds, so it would have to be completely custom-fabricated. You wouldn't have to remove the bed floor. In fact, you can buy wood kits for newer trucks that simply bolt down over the top and include a neat cover plate for the end to make it a clean installation. There was an episode of the TV show "Trucks" a couple weekends ago where they installed one on a newer truck and it really turned out nice.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Jerry1256

Post by Jerry1256 »

I think I seen a kit to fit 67-72 on the blue oval or lmc site. Just wondering if anyone has done this?
Thanks for the reply Keith
driving a 1968 Mercury Camper Special that needs a lil facelift