t-gate handle relocate and drip edge

Moderator: FORDification

DDfab

t-gate handle relocate and drip edge

Post by DDfab »

has anyone messed with relocating the tailgate handle to the inside? Also when removing the drip edge around the roof. Is that a seam or is it just smooth after removal.. I have had about enough with welding seams closed lately, but i have seen some pics of the drip edge removed and it looked good.
Thanks for any help guys
Dave
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: t-gate handle relocate and drip edge

Post by FORDification »

The driprail is sandwiched in between the roof panel and windshield pillar/surround and spot-welded. Here's a quick diagram I sketched to illustrate that:

You'll have to cut it off and then weld it up....running a bead all the way around. There are several here who have done this...I'm sure they'll chime in.

And I know you can buy a kit to relocate the handle to the inside of the tailgate. I just recently saw an advertisement for one, but I'll have to try to remember where I saw that.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
DDfab

Post by DDfab »

thanks for the pic, that is very helpful.. Mar K truck parts sells a relocate kit. Not sure how well it is made, i do like the roll pan i got from them.
DDfab

Post by DDfab »

Please ignore the drip edge question guys. My system was running so slow the other night I couldnt read all the old post,, but now i have found the ones involving the drip edge. I think i will try leaving the front only and removing everything else. All the work you guys do is inspiring. My truck went from a daily driver to a lowered back halved, cowl hooded seams welded, now might be drip edge removed.

Going to work on the tailgate handle this weekend.

Thanks Keith for having such a great site.
Dave
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

If you plan on using your truck as a truck, meaning runs to the building supply center, or loading it up with junk and going to the dump, I would recommend leaving the hadle on the outside. It could be a bear trying to open a tailgate handle with all that stuff in the box.
If it's going to be a street machine. go ahead and relocate it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
DDfab

Post by DDfab »

good point. my bed is basically useless. With the large tubs and new rear frame.