Professional windshield install not going well,incompetence?

Moderator: FORDification

fordhombre

Professional windshield install not going well,incompetence?

Post by fordhombre »

All right, my bootiful pickup is insured and registered, but I needed the windshield replaced to pass inspection. So i took it to the "best place in town" here in Waco...Freddy's Glass.

What I provided them with is the weatherstrip chrome trim from a 1969 F-100 Custom Cab, and an LMC Truck ordered 1969 F-100 Custom Weatherstrip. These two should match right? The chrome is not bent, banged, dented, or anything. It's looking good!

Freddy's Glass has had the pickup 4 days now and have shattered a brand new windshield already trying to put it in.

The only mis-match I can see is that the cab is a '67, but that really shouldn't matter, right? The LMC catalog put them all in the same parts number.

So my question is, do ya'll think they have some newbie workin' on my pickup, or is there really some parts problem? Does anyone have any advise I could maybe offer this incompetent business to assist them? My pickup is SOOOOOO close to being driven daily... it seems life is constantly throwing hurdles to postpone the completion...

Thanks in advance for any help!
it's a 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 automobile!
crazyace99million

re: Professional windshield install not going well,incompete

Post by crazyace99million »

HEY, my family lives in waco. the grahams. i'm sure you know some of them, waco is relatively small.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Installing the windshield weatherstripping with the chrome trim is a tricky affair even for the professionals. It's easy to break the windshield so it's best to leave it to the pros so they can eat the mishaps.

Do they know that the chrome trim has to be installed into the weatherstrip first? It will not go in after the windshield is already installed.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
fordhombre

Post by fordhombre »

I'm not sure if they know that or not.

They gave me a call to try to talk me in to purchasing a standard piece of weatherstrip so that they can have it ordered and ready Monday. They claimed the work was tedious and they were losing patience with it. I reminded them I'm PAYING them to do their "profession." it's a bit aggrevating.

Anyway, they're closed for the weekend, but I'll call them Monday and offer the advise without stepping on sensetive toes. Thanks!
it's a 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 automobile!
mk
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mk »

Funny that a 'pro' shop would have difficulty with that install. A friend was having his windshield replaced by a mobile glass service at home so I brought my truck over with a good spare windshield I had to see if the glass guy would throw mine in as well. Worked out great. I had the rubber with the chrome installed in it wrapped around the glass with a couple of strips of masking tape holding it top and bottom and a rope installed in the channel with the ends meeting in the top middle. We just laid that thing in the opening top first and pulled the rope out from the top around the sides to the bottom middle. Very light, even open handed pressure is the key to avoid fractures as you work the rope out of the bottom corners and edge.

mike
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Just had a guy come out and do 2 here at my place last week... my daughter's '82 Chev pickup and my '70 f100. It took him maybe 15 minutes for hers.. then he worked on mine for about an hour, but he got it in with the trim and it looks great! He said the same thing that Mike did, and did it the same way... great guy and best of it all was the he only charged us $20 :clap: . I will say this though.. he installed PPG windshields and hers is definately going back... the antenna is in the wrong spot and it's got MAJOR waves!! Mine's looking pretty good so far. My Mom had a windshield put in her car by these same guys and it was a PPG window as well and it was so wavy I got sick driving it!! They're good about standing behind it, but it's too bad the quality's not there to start with.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
BobbyD

Post by BobbyD »

Does putting the trim in first before installing the glass go for the rear window on a '69 ranger as well?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yep....you aren't going to be able to install the trim afterwards.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
DDfab

Post by DDfab »

thats good to know, i had a pro place replace my windshield under insurance. They tried to glue my trim on after they flattened the insertion rib. I went around and around with them to get it replaced. They finally did get me some new trim. I wouldnt let them touch the truck after there stupid glue trick.. The first time they put regular weather strip in and took my trim with them. They thought that would be okay. I gave them the part number for LMC weather strip and thats when they glued it on and said it would fit because of after market weather strip.. I didnt know about the trim before install trick. i still have the trim sitting in the garage. I had a buddy who put his trim on after windsheild was installed. he said it was a bit**. I will tell him about the trim first.
Thanks for the info. got to love this place.
dave
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Professional windshield install not going well,incom

Post by Sharkdance »

[quote=Do they know that the chrome trim has to be installed into the weatherstrip first?[/quote]

Soooooo,,, if, someone were to remove the trim from thier truck while the windshield and back window were still installed then they could hang up the idea of putting it back on without removing the glass first?
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yep, pretty much.

I've also removed the trim while the windows were still in, but it's one of those things that'll come apart a LOT easier than it'll go back together.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

injecture? The trim will go back in the back but only if the rubber is old and worn/shrunk.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com