aux. tank -- molded fuel door??

Moderator: FORDification

bwc302

aux. tank -- molded fuel door??

Post by bwc302 »

Has anyone ever tried to put a molded fuel door onto a bed that is using a 25 gallon factory aux tank?

I am not sure if it can be done, (based upon the bend in the fuel filler neck or hose, etc..) but think the bed would look a lot cleaner than with the gas cap sticking out of the bed.

Thanks,

Bobby
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: aux. tank -- molded fuel door??

Post by FORDification »

I'll eventually be doing that with my project, propably using a '87-'91 setup. I don't think it would be too hard to adapt the door's filler neck to mate up with the present filler neck. This one was on E-bay a while back and I was going to bid on it, but got sidetracked and forgot. :cry:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

im thinking about it but i have the stock square tanks 1 on each side . is that a common thing for a 68 ranger to have two of the square aux tanks. i also still have the original seat tank the recall was never completed on this truck.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

What recall are you referring to?

The auxiliary tanks you're referring to are dealer-installed, they aren't factory.....so it was up to the dealer what was installed and where, since there were many different auxiliary tank configurations
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

dad told me back in 82 that ford had a recall on the behind the seat tanks because when the truck was hit in the cab area that the truck catch fire. that is why he said you see all of those patch pieces in the cabs of some of the fords where the filler neck used to be. i never doubted what dad said. maybe he was wrong.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

I've sure never heard that one... and there's a slug of behind the seat tanks running around... including mine.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
bwc302

Post by bwc302 »

no recalls listed on alldata.com for this year regarding the gas tank.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i asked my dad again about this and it seems that either i heard him wrong or he changed what he said. but the reason ford chanbed tank locations was for safety reasons. whenever it was that they changed it sometime past 73 i think. so then why did ford have the cabs plugged where the seat tank is suppose to be? ive seen them. and i know alot still have the seat tank. was it a upgrade by the dealer to put a tanl underneath or something like that?
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I don't recall if it was for Fords or not, but I remember something from the 80's regarding issues with fuel tanks mounted outside the frame rails catching fire if the truck was broadsided.
That's probably why they were moved to the inside of the frame rails.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Previous owners may have removed the behind the seat gas tanks and plugged the holes....Maybe they started leaking fumes into the cab---who knows....

I am aware of a C!@#$vy pickup recall on 70-something trucks because their factory mounted tank(or auxiliary,...not sure) was located between the frame rail and the body sheetmetal....a very volatile place for a gas tank explosion if sideswiped or t-boned on the driver's side....Both factory-auxiliary tanks I've had from Ford were mounted inside the frame rail with a heavy-duty metal covering,or guard...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Yea, that's the one I was referring to.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

maybe thats what dad was talking about and we got it confused when we were orignaly talking about it. that plug though is a rubber plug that looks like it was made just for that purpose. maybe ford made the plugs for that purpose so if anyone didnt want them then they could plug the hole with a nice final piece. anyway thats all i know about it.
shrektruck

Post by shrektruck »

I know 60 minutes got busted because the truck they used in their show had to be set on fire by the crew cause they couldn't get it to blow up by crashing another car into it.
Great journalism. They finally ended up saying "Well, it could happen."
Still, I'll be removing the in cab tank, it'll make a handy storage area and I won't have to listen to the gas sloshing around as I drive.
tex1264

Post by tex1264 »

my fuel gauge doesn't work, so when i turn a corner if it sloshes around we are good! no slosh get to the gas store quick! just my sick thinkin thanks kevin
crazyace99million

Re: re: aux. tank -- molded fuel door??

Post by crazyace99million »

tex1264 wrote:my fuel gauge doesn't work, so when i turn a corner if it sloshes around we are good! no slosh get to the gas store quick! just my sick thinkin thanks kevin
that's a good rule of thumb:)