'70 vs. '71-'72 grille shell differences

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

'70 vs. '71-'72 grille shell differences

Post by FORDification »

For some time I've been wanting to include a picture on the TRIM AND INSIGNIAS page showing the differences in the grille shell mounting tabs on the '70 pieces vs. the '71-'72 shells. However, I haven't had access to the grille shells to get the shot. Well, yesterday Mark (4x4x4crewcab) graciously provided a comparison picture to illustrate the differences in the lengths and location of the grille insert mounting tabs:

Top: '70 grille shell
Bottom: '71-'72 grille shell

This picture illustrates the differences in the length of the grille insert mounting tabs between the '70 and '71-'72 shells. In addition to the two extra mounting tabs on the '71-'72 shells, the four main tabs on each side are spaced a little differently. The top two are close, but the bottom two are way off.

For future reference, this picture and info has now been posted to the above link. Thanks Mark!
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: '70 vs. '71-'72 grille shell differences

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

Keith
I should clarify my statement a bit. The 4 tabs are in the basic correct location on both styles but not quite the same depth. The picture I supplied is a comparison shot of the lower tabs. The picture I took of the uppers didn't turn out very well (attached if you can make it out). The upper tabs are a slight bit different and could probably be bent to work. The biggest spacing issue would be the lower tabs. To make the 70 inserts fit there would have to be a spacer of sorts and a longer screw for the bottom 2 tabs on each side or the inserts would be way to far in at the bottom.
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com
crazyace99million

Post by crazyace99million »

hey, though with a little work you can make anything fit:)