Beginning bodywork....need lots of advice

Moderator: FORDification

SmokeyBear
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Beginning bodywork....need lots of advice

Post by SmokeyBear »

FORDification wrote:Oh yeah....had a couple more questions I forgot to ask:

1) The recommendations here have been to apply the epoxy primer, then filler, then primer/surfacer. It seems most of the other bodywork forums I've visited suggest the order as epoxy primer, then primer/surfacer, then filler. Does it really matter on the order?

2) What about seam filler? If I'm going to use the factory-type seam filler in places where it was used by the factory, when should this be applied?
1) Use the filler on bare scuffed metal to give it something to bite into. If you put filler on too slick of a surface it won't hold. When it's leveled use primer (at least enough to be able to get the sanding scratches out). If there are any imperfections left like pinholes from the filler use putty to fill those. Then surfacer.

2) Seam sealer should be used after primer, and it needs to be completely dry before anything is sprayed on it. As it dries it shrinks and will cause paint to crack.
70 F-100 XLT
"Christine" Gone but not forgotten.
72 F-100 Ranger XLT
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

Hey Keith, I'm not a painter but I painted my own truck like you're wanting to do.
I remember how excited I was when I was getting mine ready to paint.
I worked on mine under a tent in the back yard. I had'nt built my shop yet then.
I used the Omni products and have no complaints about them but don't know enough to know what to complain about.
I can say to use the guide coats when sanding.
I was worried about doing the painting itself when I should have worried alot more about the body work. I actually layed a pretty dang good paint job on the truck and get many compliments about it.
My body work really sucked though. I did'nt block sand near enough and you can still see my featheredges if you sight down the sides.
I used a single stage paint. The original 71 Swss-Aqua. I did this about 4-5 years ago I guess and the paint is starting to fade a bit between waxing, at least on the hood and roof.
I plan on replacing my cab when I get the time and money to do it, mainly due to a lady running a light and doing some damage to the floor. Plus the cowls are rusting in a place that's hard to fix. When I do this I plan on going back and fixing all my bad bodywork and painting it the same color but in a base coat clear coat paint.

Hope this helps some as I figure we have about the same experience on things and maybe reading it from someone without any experience before his first paint job might help you not make the same mistakes I did. Make any sense? lol
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD