Link to HEI conversion.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Link to HEI conversion.

Post by willowbilly3 »

A very popular ignition swap is to use a Duraspark dist with the TFI coil and Chevy HEI module. Also interesting is using a points dist to make a signal for a TFI module.

http://www.gofastforless.com/
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Sazman

Re: Link to HEI conversion.

Post by Sazman »

Wow, that is a handy kind of a guy, thanks for the link. Pretty interesting down to earth style stuff, I like it.
1965 F-100 300-6 working on it, wanted a first year Twin I-Beam 300, now I gots one
1971 F-100 Custom 302 C4
1962 F-100 Custom Cab 292 3 on the tree, restoring, probably gonna sell it I guess. Love the engine.
1972 Maverick 2 DR 250 I-6, C4, restoring.
1978 F-150 always wanted one of these too. 300, 3+1 OD trans, pretty well preserved, working on it
1985 F-350 460 crew cab, rough as a cob

All these are southern Arizona desert trucks, little to no rust, but the sun takes its toll,ha.
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

ok i gotta ask...if you're going to use a duraspark dist, why not use the duraspark module, and just change to the TFI coil????
:?
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
knightfire83
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by knightfire83 »

I did the HEI conversion a while back. My original intent was to use a duraspark out of a 76' f100. I found all the wiring diagrams for it on the internet. But got frustrated trying to figure out the whole resistance wire thing to the duraspark module.

So for me, it was the simplicity and dependability of the HEI system.

Duraspark = 6 wires to hook up
HEI= 1 wire to the ignition, 2 two the distributor, 1 to the coil--> simple :thup:

I found this picture useful
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1974 Ford F-100 4x4- 360 / manual.
1970 Ford F250 4x4 ~ Sold.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Some people claim they have used the DS2 module with no problems but I guess it generally won't hold up to the higher voltages like the HEI and doesn't vary the dwell the same either. I figure if Ford guys are using a Chevy part it is best to take a look, they wouldn't do it just to move sideways, it would have to be a noticable improvement.
As mentioned, one good thing about this set up is not having to worry about resistance, just straight old 12V to the coil.
Also in the diagram above they have left out the ground to the module hold down screw. Most use the ground from the 3 wire dist pigtail. At any rate, make sure you mount the module properly to a heatsink and ground it.

Also I just discovered the link just takes you to the cover page. Click on loosers and then on better ignition.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

willowbilly3 wrote:Some people claim they have used the DS2 module with no problems but I guess it generally won't hold up to the higher voltages like the HEI and doesn't vary the dwell the same either. I figure if Ford guys are using a Chevy part it is best to take a look, they wouldn't do it just to move sideways, it would have to be a noticable improvement.
As mentioned, one good thing about this set up is not having to worry about resistance, just straight old 12V to the coil.
Also in the diagram above they have left out the ground to the module hold down screw. Most use the ground from the 3 wire dist pigtail. At any rate, make sure you mount the module properly to a heatsink and ground it.

I have a DII on the 46 & on the 69. Never had any problems. Both units are motorcraft modules, the 46 has a TFI "E" coil, the 69 has a stock setup, with the resistance wire B.S. That's gonna change, next weekend. With the DII, once you eliminate the resistance wire in the coil circuit, and move up to the e coil, it's just as easy, and you get to keep your ford "all ford" :thup:

as always... :2cents:
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

I oughta get off my rear and do that to my 68. I'm getting tired of dealing with points.
That design might be the plan.. Looks fairly simple.
I've got EE on the 74, but it's a duraspark dist with a 3rd party module. I forgot what
brand it is. Actually.. I have two of those I'm pretty sure. I think I have a new one as a
backup. So I'd only need a distributor I think. I'll have to go out to the 74 and see if I do
have an extra module. Most parts like that I do. I even have backup new starter, alternator, etc..
The guy I got it from kept a backup part of nearly everything that could go wrong.. :)
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
swinn

Post by swinn »

Another option is the Pertronix Ignitor ignition module. It's about as easy an install as you could ask for, unscrew your points, screw in the pertronix module (make sure you re-attach the internal ground strap in the distributor). Slide the provided collar onto the points cam, set the module at .030 using a feeler gauge and tighten. Red wire attaches to coil +, black wire to coil -. Done. Uses all the ford parts, distributor, coil, etc... with no swaps can't even tell its there unless you know there is normally only 1 wire coming from the dist.
Scott
68 F250 CS LWB
390FE, C6