Chinging noise from engine

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

chefswag

Chinging noise from engine

Post by chefswag »

First time poster here. I have a 1969 For F250 ranger camper special. V8 390. Recently when i start the motor, i hear a ching ching ching sound right after the engine turns over. The noise then goes away. I recently replaced the starter. On ebuddy of mine said it was a spacing issue with the new starter and that there is a sleeve that can be installed to help. Another friend said it sounded like it was coming from the front of the engine. From where i sit (the drivers seat) it sounds like it coming from behind the front driverside tire area. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Allan
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Chinging noise from engine

Post by BobbyFord »

Sounds like the bendix in the starter is hanging up a bit. If the starter is under warranty, I'd turn it in for another.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it coul d be a starter spacing issue. usually ford doesn't have the starter ching noise issue. this is more of a chevy thing. but if it is a mismatched engine spacer plate to the transmission it could be an issuse. what engine does it have in it and what transmission? does it look like it has ever been changed either one? what did the truck come with from the factory for engine and transmission?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Did the old starter make the same noise?
chefswag

Post by chefswag »

Engine and transmission are factory as far as i know. Never made the sound before. I'll look into changing the starter again and see where that gets me.
freeline95

Post by freeline95 »

this is just a shot in the dark but maybe it is a hydraulic lifter leaking down. Just start it up let it quit making the noise then turn it off and start it right back up and if it dosen't make the noise on the restart then its a lifter leaking down. :2cents:
1969 Ford F-100 Custom Cab With A 390.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

The quality of remanufactered parts is always a gamble. I have seen shims for Fords but never needed to install one. If the starter drive isn't pulling all the way back then you need a different starter, not a shim.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.