Newer Ford oilpans (anti-knock sensor)

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Newer Ford oilpans (anti-knock sensor)

Post by Banjo »

Guys, I poked a Lincoln Towncar 5.0 in my 68 and reused the stock Lincoln (1990) oilpan. The junkyard where I bought the motor had already cut through the anti-knock sensor wire coming out of the oilpan. I have noticed leaking I don't think I should be getting and the bottom of the oilpan staying damp w/oil. I had assumed (key word) the anti-knock sensor deal was an electric only sensor and there was NO way for any oil to penetrate the hole to exit the oilpan. The sensor wiring ran down into a little tube kinda like a small dipstick tube near the top of the oilpan on the driver side.
I'm speculating, at higher rpm (like on the road), it's lightly oozing a tad of oil out this tube (which is open, but I didn't think it connected all the way through), which would explain why I don't see any leaks at idle when I can check, yet the bottom of the engine/suspension has oil on it. And, yes, I did use a new oilpan gasket because I put a new oil pump into the used motor (and water pump) before I installed it.
I happen to have an early Mustang GT 5.0 oilpan without this sensor tube thing and wondering if it'd be worth the effort to change with the engine in the truck. This will likely be a fight, but I have done it before in a Buick once. Anyone have any "anti-knock" sensor advise, is this hole blind or not??? Guess I could also trying cleaning it up good w/carb cleaner and packing it full of JB Weld and letting it cure, but I figured if this hole is truly not blind hot oil would eventually penetrate the JB Weld.
Brisco Darlin'......"You sure do render good Sheriff!"
Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Newer Ford oilpans (anti-knock sensor)

Post by Banjo »

Meant to also say, I've noticed I lose about a quart of oil every 1000 miles or under and motor doesn't smoke. And, as mentioned, bottom of motor staying wet w/oil and keeping suspension wet with oil too.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Knock sensors screw into the block. I believe the deal in the pan is a low level switch. I'm not too familiar with them, I've never had a 5.0 car motor with a stock pan, but the ones I've fiddled with all have the knock sensor in the block. The oil pan is isolated from block vibrations by the pan gasket. If you put a knock sensor there it wouldn't work.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Banjo »

ok, I'd guessed wrong, regardless, whatever this thing is (which the wiring has been cut off of it) appears to be an electrical sensor. Is there anyone who is positive it's not a blind hole? I thought I had checked it before reusing it and thought for sure it was blind, BUT.....