carb dumping fuel

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

sacramento_ford
Preferred User
Preferred User

carb dumping fuel

Post by sacramento_ford »

69 f250, i realized my stalling wasnt fuel pump, which i replaced, i doubt the coil has anything to do with it, i realized the vapor coming out of the pcv valve cover area was not rings going bad, seems that the carb is dumping fuel and flooding it like crazy to where it canpt keep up, is there something i can replace to limit the amout of fuel, i pulled back the thotthle and it seems to squirt fuel, just seems like its a over kill of fuel , thanks,. guys for any advice, i might just rebuild if thats easy.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: carb dumping fuel

Post by FORDification »

You already have such a device built into your carb....it's called the needle valve, which is operated by the float. When the fuel level in the fuel bowl brings the float up to a certain level, it closes the needle valve to shut off the flow of fuel into the carb. If the needle valve and/or seat is damaged or plugged with debris, or the floats are improperly adjusted, then they can't shut off the fuel flow like they're supposed to.

Sounds like you need to pop the top on your carburetor and check the float settings, as well as to ensure that the needle valve and seat are in good condition and that you don't have debris in the carb preventing the needle valve from closing. If you've got rust flakes in there, suspect a corroded fuel tank. You do have a fresh fuel filter between the pump and the carb, right?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
sacramento_ford
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by sacramento_ford »

hi, thanks for you responce. yes i do have a fresh fuel pump filter and new fuel pump, i did pop the top and omg it seems contaminated and you can see the dirt and not so fresh,not severe but any i not good. i do see the float, i dont know what to look for, i just see the float and how full it is, can u tell me where the needle vavle is. should i take apart the carb or is there repairs i can do from up above,
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The needle and seat is under the float pivot.

Keith and Dragon have posted a number of reall excellnt photos because this particular problem seem to be a bit of an epidemic in the last few months.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper