Choke help

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Choke help

Post by willowbilly3 »

I am trying to help a member on another forum get the hot air to his choke. I need a good picture or diagram of the tubing and also a source for the repair/replacement tube. Also an application to get an electric choke from. He is running a 108 venturi 2100 2 bbl.
I had switched a few to electric many years ago but I don't remember what application I got the choke stat from. I do remember I tried a few before I found the right one. Thanks for the help
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
nxne75

Re: Choke help

Post by nxne75 »

Funny enough, I posted this same question a few days ago on this forum (but only got one response), so we're both in the same boat. I've attached a picture of the original tubes that came with my '71 F-250 (390, C6). When I bought the truck they weren't even attached to the carb - just laying on top of the intake, as if someone forgot they had left them there! Bizarre.

I've also a pic of the choke tube setup, from a low mileage original truck for sale on ebay.

The tube that runs to the choke housing is smaller in diameter than than the other hose that (I believe) is supposed to run to some kind of a vent tube on the back of the carb. My Autolite 2100 is a replacement carb, not original, and I'm in the process of trying to verify whether or not it's the right one for this engine. The truck has been running like crap in the cold weather until it warms up, which I'm hoping that attaching this hot air choke tube will help improve.

As for a source, I'm told that your regular auto parts store or Mustang supply house should have the parts you need. I was going to try National Parts Depot in Canton, MI, which is local to me, but I was able to salvage the original tubes.

No source for an eletric choke, sorry - I'm sure someone else here will know.

Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

willowbilly3 wrote:I am trying to help a member on another forum get the hot air to his choke. I need a good picture or diagram of the tubing and also a source for the repair/replacement tube. Also an application to get an electric choke from. He is running a 108 venturi 2100 2 bbl.
I had switched a few to electric many years ago but I don't remember what application I got the choke stat from. I do remember I tried a few before I found the right one. Thanks for the help
Hey wb3 i could not find those tubes for my 302. i ended up using copper, but there are two lines, both come from the passside exhaust manifold. One screws to the back of the choke spring housing and the other connects w/a piece of rubber hose to the top portion of the carb just above and behind the choke spring housing.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I explained it to him and he does understand how it all works, I just thought a picture or diagram would be helpful.
Personally I wouldn't mess with the hot air choke. They were a poorly designed system at best, as anyone who lives in cold weather country probably knows. I have manual choke carbs on my V8s and convert my six bangers to electric.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

willowbilly3 wrote:I explained it to him and he does understand how it all works, I just thought a picture or diagram would be helpful.
Personally I wouldn't mess with the hot air choke. They were a poorly designed system at best, as anyone who lives in cold weather country probably knows. I have manual choke carbs on my V8s and convert my six bangers to electric.
Let me know if i need to snap a pic. It's a pretty simple setup. Mine works just ok and thats here in texas, would probably have a manual choke in cold climates myself.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I upgraded my 2100 to electric choke with Holley #45-258.
http://holley.com/45-258.asp

Ground it to one of the choke cap restraining screws and run the positive to the stator on back of alternator. Works great and is huge improvement over heat tube.

If you really want to use heat tube Mr. Gasket has a universal kit #3665.
1971 F-100 Ranger 360 auto LWB 2WD 90,000 orig. miles
ImageImageImage
george worley
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by george worley »

The electric choke cap and spring from a 1974 carb and possibley later will work also.
Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Banjo »

At times, in the past, I have used many types of premade tubes to fight this battle (hot air choke), as I have owned lots of peices of cars....junkers. Anyway, in some cases, I've used the real small vacuum line (metal) like what runs from automatic transmission modulator valves up to the engine. I've drilled holes same size as my metal line and just lightly opened w/rat-tail (round) file that fit and used JB Weld to seal. Seems I recall also using things like preformed brake lines. I've rigged tons of them. To include opening the thermatic choke and rigging a manual choke to the peices. I've made brackets from all kinds of readily available crap.
There is kinda a lost art to setting chokes, you have to fool with it and know how to use it. Most folks are pretty happy with an electric and I like those and manuals. I never really liked the ones that worked on heat much.
Brisco Darlin'......"You sure do render good Sheriff!"