Driveshaft Question

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Driveshaft Question

Post by dcbullet »

You may have seen my post in GD where I said I was planning on switching my trucks F-250 rear end (Dana 60) back to stock Ford 9 inch (I have an F100).

Do you think there will be any difference in the driveshaft I need or can I use the one on there now?

Thanks in advance.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

anyone? :?
67effie

Post by 67effie »

AS long as the offsets are realitively close you shouldn't need to replace the drive shaft. I ran into a problem of having to change out my drivshaft once I switched transmissions from a C-4 to a C-6 and then dropping it 9" in the back required another shortening of the drive shaft.
If at first you don't succeed. Get another beer.

Jeremy

1972 F-100 - currently under going complete frame off restoration
1997 Mustang GT Convertible- (gone but not forgotten, damn unemployment)
1996 Saleen S281 #247
1988 - Coupe, OSP car sold to public NEW, under construction, 1 of 3 that was supposed to go to Saleen in 1988.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=270
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Driveshaft Question

Post by FORDification »

I was at the shop today and remembered your question, so I dug out the trusty tape measure. I compared the rear driveshafts from a '67 F250 with a Dana 60 with a '68 F100 with a 9". The rear driveshaft for the Dana 60 was 39-1/4" long (measuring from U-joint center to U-joint center) and the rear driveshaft for the 9" was 41-1/2" long....a difference of 2-1/4".

Therefore, it would seem that you might run into problems with driveshaft lengths. You could get away with slight variances in the front shaft, since that's where the slip-joint is, but the back one is pretty much set. :(
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Thanks Keith.

I went ahead and got the driveshaft too. Upon comparing the diffs between the Dana and Ford, the Dana is "longer", thus having a shorter driveshaft.

The driveshaft I got with the rearend has a couple of "dents" in it. Not huge, but I'm not sure of the effect it will have. I'll probably take it to a shop and have them give an opinion.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Driveshaft Question

Post by FORDification »

Yeah, vehicles at Pick-n-Pulls often have damage done to driveshafts, exhausts, etc. They normally move those vehicles around with large forklifts, so anything hanging below the frame will get mangled. I found a '70 with a neat set of dual saddletanks and would have loved to bring 'em home, but the forklift had bent both tanks, dammit.
Last edited by FORDification on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I would avoid a Driveshaft with dents.

At best it will vibrate, at worst break and whip atound like a weedeater.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper