Rebuilding a 3 speed manual column shifter

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

FreakinFord

Rebuilding a 3 speed manual column shifter

Post by FreakinFord »

Hi guys..

I live in the Netherlands and have '71 302 cid F100 custom 2 wheeler.... since the shifting is sloppy, i'm planning to completly rebuilt the manual column shifter

i'm starting off with the transmission control selector lever socket and the column gear shift lever insulator... couldn't get a new gear shift lever so i'm using the old one but will replace the gear shift lever impact seal

then replacing the gear shift tube and finally all the way down to the bottom replacing the two column shift lever arms + the 3 nylon washers that seperate the two shift arms + some new shift arm clips

so... has anyone ever gone thru this rebuilding proces ??... is it hard to do ??
anything i should well be aware off ?? (i hear is difficult to get the shift tube back in) ....and do you need to fine tune the adjustment at the tranny ??
how is that done the best way ?? :hmm:

Thanks
John
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Rebuilding a 3 speed manual column shifter

Post by NM5K »

Don't know...Sounds like a pain... :cry:
But I don't think you would need to adjust at the tranny too much...
In general, it's all done at the linkage parts...IE: I think you use a bolt to go through the alignment hole, to hold it in place, and then you adjust according to the manual...I doubt you should have to mess with the tranny...I hope I don't have to do this on my 74 some day... :o So far, it's pretty good though
as far as the shift linkage. MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
my367s

Post by my367s »

I have taken 2 colomns apart now,a 3 speed on the tree and an automatic and I found that as long as you keep track of how the parts fit back together they are not too difficult.I did not have a problem at all with the shift tube fitting back in nor did I have a problem with the shift linkages not working after it was reinstalled.As a matter of a fact I found it to be fairly simple and the transmission worked just fine.
Gerald Cook
1967 mercury ranger 1/2 ton-work in progress
1967 mercury 1/2 ton
1967 ford 1/2 ton-daily driver
1964 ford 1/2 ton 4x4-next project
2001 ford f150 4x4
loudandugly

Post by loudandugly »

I am a new member and not much of a mechanic, but I try. I just replaced my shift collar on my 63 PU F100. I did this five years ago and had no problem, but now, I don't remember how I inserted the shift tube to make all the gears work.

I can only go into first, reverse and second and with great difficulty. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks from loudandugly--Palm Springs, Ca. :hmm: :cry:
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

I rebuilt the one in my 71 F100 several years ago before I pulled it to go Power-steering, automatic.
I remember the upper part, under the turn signal switch being the most aggrivating part of it. Can't remember why though.
As long as you take your time, lay the parts out as you remove them, then study how it works until you know what each part does and why it's not a very hard project
clint.
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
68swb

Post by 68swb »

i rebuilt the column in my 68 about 6 months ago and it was real easy there was not a lot of problems going back together. like everyone else has said take you time and remember how it comes apart and going back together will be simple.
"I got this"

68 swb 429ci 3spd
69 lwb f250 360 4spd
75 VW superbeetle
79 F250 4X4 supercab 400 4spd
07 Fusion
08 Focus 35mpg
mebruce

Post by mebruce »

I as well would like to rebuild my shifter (just inside the column). What parts should I expect to need?
loudandugly

Post by loudandugly »

loudandugly here,

Thank you guys for your replies; my problem is that I did not have a chance to see what happened, for my shift collar totally collapsed while driving, and the shift tube had become elevated within the steering colum. I have no idea how it was inserted to make it work.

Tomorrow I will spend the day with it, and try something else. Will let you know next post----I'm not speeding, I'm just big loud and ugly.
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

It was probably 10 years and a good 100 thousand miles ago but from what I can remember it was very simple. The shifter was getting a little loose so I installed a new collar and shift tube which I got through Ford. I have never had a collar brake.

Anyway, the only thing that I would reccomend is knowing that when you pull the shift tube out, the shifting levers at the bottom of the column can be removed. I think I removed mine on principle to clean and regrease. When reinstalling if you install a small screwdriver in the alignment holes up into the column channel this will locate them together in neutral. And I do think that after everything was (tightened) up with new parts I had to do some finite changes to the linkage.

Anyway there's nothing about it thats really much to sweat.

Steve
69 F100 300I6
loudandugly

Post by loudandugly »

Steve,

Thank you so much for this information. Today was much too hot and humid to work on this, maybe tomorrow will be better. I realize this is do-able on my own.

What a great grpup this is. Again my thanks :clap: