Can't get our 69 f1oo to run

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

san

Can't get our 69 f1oo to run

Post by san »

Help, we have a 69 f100, with a 1966 300 in it. It has been sitting for a couple of years. We got it started, did a tune up and it was running good for one evening. The next day, we went to take it for a test drive and it started back firing and sputtering. Then it wouldn't start at all. It was getting spark, but no fuel, so rebuilt the carb.... that didn't work. We bought a new carb, got it started , it ran real rough and even with my foot on the accelerator, it sounded like not enough gas was getting thru. Took the carb off and there was lots of gas in the manifold. Could it be clogged? Any ideas would be appreciated. Its our only truck and I'm starting a house building job and I can only get so much in my civic! Thanks :(
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: Can't get our 69 f1oo to run

Post by FORDification »

Did you flush the fuel system when you first brought it back to life? Does it have a new fuel filter? If the truck sat for several years, then not only will the fuel in the tank be bad, but the tank itself was probably getting rusted...and those rust flakes are getting into the carb and preventing the needle valve from fully closing when it needs to, thus flooding the engine, as evidenced by "lots of gas in the manifold".

If you've got an inline fuel filter, remove it. Then set a piece of white paper on the workbench and tap the nipple of the fuel filter on it...I'll bet you'll see all kinds of rust flakes drop out.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
san

Re: Can't get our 69 f1oo to run

Post by san »

Thanks, we'll try that. Now the new solinoid (?) that we got is clicking!!! Too much trying to start it. Tomorrow's a new day. Hopefully we'll get it going.